Used Mac notebook suggestions for Iphone development

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am anticipating getting into Mac development for the Iphone and was wandering what a good notebook would be for this task. I have been programming for over 20 years and would like to learn Objective C.

I am looking to spend between $500 and $1000 and obviously need whatever minimum configuration is necessary to accomplish the above described task. The only other thing I want is a screen 15 inches or larger.

Obviously I am open to a used Mac and my expectations are that is what I will end up with using my current parameters.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions outside of the box are welcome.

I look forward to learning the Mac way!,

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
ON the apple site there is the refurb store, there is the white MacBook on there for $849, but keep your eye on the site and a 2009 white Macbook may appear (better graphics card)

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

With the change you could buy and external monitor if you haven't already got one

Acer V223WBD Black 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor Monitor Overview - PC World

Otherwise trawl ebay and other sites for nearly new MacBooks and Macbook Pros, but use the Apple refurb store as a benchmark to see if you are getting a bargain

Reaction score
I agree with the above poster, you wont need anything highly intensive to run the SDK but it would be better running it on the intel platform.

If you want to spend the extra $99 over your budget I would get this.

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.)

Much better screen then the white macbook and nicer case. Better graphics, more ram and the faster DDR3 ram. I know that may not matter but in the long run its more up to date then the white macbook and will last you longer since its basically the current macbook standards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for both responses so far and of course more responses are more than welcomed.

Yeah, it pretty much comes down to whether or not I'm willing to give in on my >= 15 inch screen requirement. The MacBook is perfect outside of this requirement. Since I am doing development I love my screen space and really want to keep this machine totally away from my PC equipment; including the monitor. I also want to be able to learn/develop away from my home so that is why I want a notebook. I'm not totally ruling out a mini, either, but the laptop is so much more versatile. It's just too bad they don't offer the regular MacBook with a 15 inch screen. I'd be willing to pay up to 1200 or 1300 for that. Or, I was hoping that I could find a model a year or two old with the 15 inch display.

Reaction score
Thanks for both responses so far and of course more responses are more than welcomed.

Yeah, it pretty much comes down to whether or not I'm willing to give in on my >= 15 inch screen requirement. The MacBook is perfect outside of this requirement. Since I am doing development I love my screen space and really want to keep this machine totally away from my PC equipment; including the monitor. I also want to be able to learn/develop away from my home so that is why I want a notebook. I'm not totally ruling out a mini, either, but the laptop is so much more versatile. It's just too bad they don't offer the regular MacBook with a 15 inch screen. I'd be willing to pay up to 1200 or 1300 for that. Or, I was hoping that I could find a model a year or two old with the 15 inch display.

Ok well if your willing to go none refurb and get a used one here are a few that fit your bill for $1200 or less. And these are buy it now you may be able to get some auctions for cheaper.

MacBook Pro 15"- Adobe SC3, Office 2008, iLife, iWork - eBay (item 190305769571 end time May-08-09 22:20:33 PDT)

MACBOOK PRO INTEL CORE 2 DUO @ 2.2GHZ 2GB RAM FAST SHIP - eBay (item 230341730768 end time May-10-09 12:03:46 PDT)

Apple MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz Core Duo 2GB RAM 100GB 10.5.6 - eBay (item 170328346578 end time May-10-09 21:46:01 PDT)

OP
K
Reaction score

Thanks!, These are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I may not be ready to buy this quickly but it looks like eBay may be the route so I'm sure others will come up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.