2006 iMac 24" for photo editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
You bring up a good point, I currently use an HP laptop and desktop for my image retouching. But both PC's are using a matte screen which I have no problem calibrating to my labs. But obviously since I am here on this forum I am thinking of making the switch to a Mac.

I have been looking at the new 2009 model 24" Imac as well as the new quad core Mac Pro. But I am still undecided as to which route to take just for this reason. If I go with the Mac Pro I can buy any screen I wish or even reuse my HP 20" monitor. But I would like to move up to at least a 24" screen. I will make a few calls to some friends of mine (pro retouchers) who use Mac's and see what they have to say and report back with what I find out.

OP
J
Reaction score
Challenges of moving to Mac

You bring up a good point, I currently use an HP laptop and desktop for my image retouching. But both PC's are using a matte screen which I have no problem calibrating to my labs. But obviously since I am here on this forum I am thinking of making the switch to a Mac.

I have been looking at the new 2009 model 24" Imac as well as the new quad core Mac Pro. But I am still undecided as to which route to take just for this reason. If I go with the Mac Pro I can buy any screen I wish or even reuse my HP 20" monitor. But I would like to move up to at least a 24" screen. I will make a few calls to some friends of mine (pro retouchers) who use Mac's and see what they have to say and report back with what I find out.

I am also using a 20" HP monitor, an LP2065. Most of my experience is with PCs, but I have been using Macs on and off since the late 80's. Currently, I've got a 2006 Macbook, but until recently I've used my desktop Dell for photo editing. Going forward, I'd like to move all of my computing to a Mac and retire my Dell.

Some configurations that I've been considering:

Upgrade my Macbook
For a little over $200, I can boost the memory to 3GB and install a 500GB SATA drive. Both are available (or will soon be) from OWC (macsales.com)​

Advantages: least expensive; can use any monitor
Disadvantages: no Firewire 800 to attach fast external drives; memory limited to 3GB​

Buy a refurbished late 2006 iMac
About $1000, with 1GB memory, 2.16MHz processor, and 250GB hard drive​

Advantages: Less expensive than a newer refurb; matte screen; has Firewire 800
Disadvantages: Limited to 3GB; hard drive limited and hard to upgrade​

Buy a refurbished 2009 iMac from Apple
About $1300, with 4GB memory, 2.66MHz processor, and 640GB hard drive​

Advantages: memory expandable to 8GB; bigger installed hard drive; faster processor; one year Apple warranty
Disadvantages: glossy screen; reports that it's hard to get prints to match what you see on the screen​

Buy a new Mini and upgrade the memory to 4GB and hard drive to 500GB
About $900 with the upgrades (including installation by OWC), starting with the base model Mini at $599​

Advantages: small
Disadvantages: nearly as expensive as the 2006 iMac, but without the monitor; slower processor than newer refurbished iMac​

An issue that I am running into with all of these options is how to make use of my current SATA hard drive and my 3 external eSATA backup hard drives. Short of a Mac Pro (which I cannot afford), there are not any reasonably priced options for attaching them except by USB2.

I have changed my mind every other day about which of the above options to choose, but today I am leaning towards upgrading my Macbook, because of the low cost. I also know from using it that its 2.0MHz processor is enough to run Lightroom well. After that, I find the newer refurbished iMac from Apple the most appealing, with some concern about the screen.

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Jeff,

After speaking with some re-touching pro's they have told me that the calibration on the glossy mac screens will give acceptable results from any of the major labs. In fact they told me that unless re-touching is your sole business, that the screen should not be a concern as the 24" is still an S-IPS panel monitor.

The biggest tip they gave me would be to make sure that the lighting in the room with the monitor is not too intense and not directed at the screen. Hope this has helped you, it sure has helped me.

Oh and I may have another option for you as far as what to do for your system. Tomorrow I will be signing lease papers from apple financial and I am going with a 2009 24" Imac. Here are the specs right from the sales list from my apple sales rep.

"iMac, 24-inch, 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Part Number: Z0FQ
640GB Serial ATA Drive 065-8531
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and
User's Guide 065-8116
Apple Mighty Mouse 065-8062
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512MB 065-8044
COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 24 065-8055
2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 065-7994
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB 065-8042"

I am also getting a Wacom Intuos 4 medium tablet and a 500gb time capsule along with the apple care plan. I am doing a 24 month lease for 157.00/month. Just something to think about, and if you would like more info about the business leasing let me know and I'll PM you with names and numbers.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks

Hey Jeff,

After speaking with some re-touching pro's they have told me that the calibration on the glossy mac screens will give acceptable results from any of the major labs. In fact they told me that unless re-touching is your sole business, that the screen should not be a concern as the 24" is still an S-IPS panel monitor.

The biggest tip they gave me would be to make sure that the lighting in the room with the monitor is not too intense and not directed at the screen. Hope this has helped you, it sure has helped me...

...I am doing a 24 month lease for 157.00/month. Just something to think about, and if you would like more info about the business leasing let me know and I'll PM you with names and numbers.

That's encouraging news about the screen, although it may not be good for my bank account :)

Regarding the business lease, thanks for your offer to help, but it probably wouldn't work for me.

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's encouraging news about the screen, although it may not be good for my bank account :)

Regarding the business lease, thanks for your offer to help, but it probably wouldn't work for me.

Jeff

No problem Jeff and hope you get everything worked out so you can go back to concentrating on the important things like your photography and clients lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i hate you Phototini, that is the exact config. i am going to get in july... you beat me to the punch... lol congrats though.. it is the 2.93 model with that upgraded video card.. that is what i want, cuz there is no big difference from the 2.93 and 3.06

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i hate you Phototini, that is the exact config. i am going to get in july... you beat me to the punch... lol congrats though.. it is the 2.93 model with that upgraded video card.. that is what i want, cuz there is no big difference from the 2.93 and 3.06

Hehe, sorry bud! Trust me though if it wasn't for the mess of work that some how got dumped on my lap recently I wouldn't be getting it quite so soon. But my main re-touching PC is about to bite the big one, and I have quite a few boudoir shoots lined up for this month. And of course they all need a fast turn around for whatever reason, so I can't afford to have my PC die and take a week or two to get all my new Mac equipment together.

And you are going to school for graphic arts correct? If so I may have a small job for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOME: imac 24", 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ram, 640GB HD.WORK:G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 8GB ram
At work I use a 23" cinema display. At home I have a 2009 24" imac, I have noticed a difference in the brightness setting. I can't turn it down enough on the imac to match my cinema display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Hehe, sorry bud! Trust me though if it wasn't for the mess of work that some how got dumped on my lap recently I wouldn't be getting it quite so soon. But my main re-touching PC is about to bite the big one, and I have quite a few boudoir shoots lined up for this month. And of course they all need a fast turn around for whatever reason, so I can't afford to have my PC die and take a week or two to get all my new Mac equipment together.

And you are going to school for graphic arts correct? If so I may have a small job for you.

I would love to help you or anyone on here out. yes, I am going to school for graphic design I am pretty good with photoshop, illustrator and indesign. I would say layout is my strongest thing. And to me it is one of the biggest things just knowing where to put things can makes or breaks a project. Also i am going for an internship interview on monday wish me luck...lol (sorry if i am hijacking the thread)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love to help you or anyone on here out. yes, I am going to school for graphic design I am pretty good with photoshop, illustrator and indesign. I would say layout is my strongest thing. And to me it is one of the biggest things just knowing where to put things can makes or breaks a project. Also i am going for an internship interview on monday wish me luck...lol (sorry if i am hijacking the thread)

I will be PM'ing you in the next day or two with some questions and possibly some work I need done.

/highjack;D

OP
J
Reaction score
Dimming iMac screen

At work I use a 23" cinema display. At home I have a 2009 24" imac, I have noticed a difference in the brightness setting. I can't turn it down enough on the imac to match my cinema display.

I read recently - I think on a Luminous Landscape forum - that the ColorEyes Display Pro calibration software can effectively reduce the brightness of iMac screens. The software works with hardware calibration devices like the EyeOne. It is expensive - $175 USD.

Other solutions - Shades, Spasm's Brightness Control - may affect color accuracy. I've tried Brightness Control on my Macbook, and it does change colors. I haven't tried Shades, but the Shades web site says: "Shades may interfere with colour calibration software, and should not be used if colour accuracy is critical."

Jeff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.