Buying new Macbook Pro, need suggestions.

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of buying a new MacBook Pro, however, I'm frustrated with Apple's decision to only include a matte screen (anti-glare) exclusively for the expensive 17inch model. That would be around $3050 CAD + tax. A store that I know is selling last years 17-inch model, which is still glossy but not nearly as bad as the new screens. I believe the new screens have glass which makes them even more reflective. They are selling this model for $2500 + tax.

These are the specs for the New MacBook Pro 17-inch: Intel core 2 duo, 2.66 Ghz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 320 GB HD 5400rpm, NVIDIA GeForce 9400m+9600mGT with 256 mb. ($3050 +tax)

Here's the specs for the older 17-inch model: Intel core 2 Duo, 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR 2 RAM, 320 GB HD 5400 RPM, NVIDIA 8600 GT, 512 MB RAM GDDR3. ($2500 + tax)

Which is the better deal? or should I try to wait it out and hope that Apple comes out with new models soon with matte screen finish for 15-inch model.

I'd really appreciate some opinions and suggestions as I am thinking of purchasing one soon. Thanks!

OP
I
Reaction score
74 views. Zero responses to a fairly straight-forward question. Thanks...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well what do you want us to say to you? You already obviously have made up your mind about the new MBP.

If you don't like it then don't buy it. It's obviously not worth the money if you are that dissatisfied with one aspect of a product.

Only Apple knows what and when they are going to refresh and release a new model. We don't know if they are going to be making a matte screen for the 15" MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
compared to the new glass screens, the anti-glare don't look impressive to me anymore! You get far better color with the new screens(glass) than with the anti-glare. With the anti glare, sun can change the colors of the screen, not so with the new one. The decision is very simple for me...new glass screen...but looks like you have you mind set already....I think most people still compare the anti-glare screens to the old glare screens. The new glare screens look far better and give you crisper pictures with more vibrant colors...which is very helpful when editing pictures

and also, why do you even need the 17"? the specs of a 17 to a 15 are not that great to justify the price hike imo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.