Very worried about mac & internet security

Reaction score
I was reading up on some past posts & i noticed something odd on my mac the other day but didn't think about it until i saw someone who said they think that someone maybe mooching off their wi fi. I noticed under shared i have db0314037e744d0, so naturally i am worried someone is using my connection.It also says under general: pc server. I have a pc, my husbands mac, my mac & my iphone running off my wi fi connection so could any of the affore mentioned be the cuplrit & is there a way of checking if it is? If not how do i get rid of the problem? Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you have the highest security setting in use on your router to protect your wi-fi connection you shouldn't get anyone leeching, unless they have some very trick software.
Use the most secure WPA setting and choose something unguessable as a code, using unusual characters among letters and numbers.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you have the highest security setting in use on your router to protect your wi-fi connection you shouldn't get anyone leeching, unless they have some very trick software.
Use the most secure WPA setting and choose something unguessable as a code, using unusual characters among letters and numbers.

Ok, thanks.So i have to go into the router settings then? Not being very technical, how do i get into my router settings to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Your PC could be the one showing up as the "PC Server" as that is what a normal PC shows up as in mine as well. Is your wireless secure? Look at your DHCP leases on the router management interface and see who has been given an IP. If your wireless is not secure you need to make sure it is.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your PC could be the one showing up as the "PC Server" as that is what a normal PC shows up as in mine as well. Is your wireless secure? Look at your DHCP leases on the router management interface and see who has been given an IP. If your wireless is not secure you need to make sure it is.

Sorry to sound thick, but i don't have a clue what dhcp lease is. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What you are seeing are computers on the Network you are connected to. No one from the outside unless you are connected to say a neighbors WiFi, then their systems would show up there. Also if you are using WiFi with WEP or no Encryption and say a neighbor gets into your router and steals your WiFi, you might see their system in Shared also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Sorry to sound thick, but i don't have a clue what dhcp lease is. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Your router will have a management interface per the documentation (usually just an IP address). Once you get in there you can see if your router has handed out addresses to unauthorized users (i.e. neighbors stealing your Internet access). Just look in the documentation for your wireless router and it will make more sense.

OP
A
Reaction score
What you are seeing are computers on the Network you are connected to. No one from the outside unless you are connected to say a neighbors WiFi, then their systems would show up there. Also if you are using WiFi with WEP or no Encryption and say a neighbor gets into your router and steals your WiFi, you might see their system in Shared also.

I have somehow stumbled in some settings & i don't have wep as security but wpa.Also other neighbours wi fi has come up, all of theirs are secure apart from one, & that db031 number is not showing up on that list also the same db0314037e744d0 is showing up on my husbands mac, so i am thinking if it was someone leeching off my wifi that db031 number wouldn't be able to show up at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
WPA is better than WEP. If you have your wireless protected with WPA I am guessing you have nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Also, it can't hurt to change your password on a regular basis, just to be sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Do you have a wireless printer with a memory card reader? That will show up under Shared but it's usually listed under the MAC-ID (00-00-00-00-00-00)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.