Strange Character Issue In Firefox & Safari

Reaction score
Hello, I've read up on the available posts regarding this issue, but none of the solutions provided have fixed it for me.

On both of my web browsers, certain web pages are suddenly full with strange characters. Here is a photo to show you what I mean:
Picture4.png

I did recently install a number of new fonts, so this could be the problem..

So far I have:
- Changed both browsers to Unicode (UTF-8)
- Verified fonts and deleted those marked with red X
- Deleted Helvetica Fractions
- Disabled certain typefaces that matched the weird characters. For instance, I saw that Zapfino was showing up on the web browser in conjunction with all the strange characters so I decided to disable Zapfino, but then it just took another typeface to replace where Zapfino was. Now it's some sort of italicized semi script font, but I don't know what it is... and if I disable it, I'm sure it would just replace it with another one.

I took my laptop to the Genius Bar the other day because I was having issues with Adobe, and the guy suggested that this problem was probably tied to Adobe. He supposedly fixed it, but as you can see, I'm still having the issue.

Help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Definitely a corrupt font problem.
Download Fontnuke and run it, it usually does the trick beautifully.

jamapi

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which web pages are you seeing this? The reason I ask is it almost appears that someone has entered characters in a language which does not use the Roman character set.

I've seen the same thing on certain forums where the writer has attempted to enter a response in English, but his operating system was based on Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, or an Asian language.

I've even received email like that - for the same reason.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies!

I downloaded Font Nuke, and it deleted quite a few cache filed, but I'm still having the same problem. I did notice that there are two cache files that don't seem to go away though because I restarted and ran Font Nuke again and noticed there were still two cache files that didn't get deleted the last time. I tried locating them and deleting them myself by emptying them out of the trash can, but it says they are in use. I have all the programs closed so I don't know what application is using it?

The websites that give me this issue are all sites I have visited before that worked fine-- craigslist.com, forever21.com.

Reaction score
What was your solution?

Holysen: I am having the same problem you are right now, what did you figure out to solve it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.