Is it worth waiting for OS X v10.6 Leopard?

Reaction score
I'm finally getting ready to make the jump from PC to Mac but have been reading about the new OS that Apple is expecting to be releasing - rumoured to be June '09 (?). Two questions:

1) Is it worth waiting for Apple to ship their Macbooks with this OS before buying one?

2) Will Apple switch to the new OS immediately for new machines or will it lag by a few months? (I'm based in UK)

I read the following quote here, but am not so sure: 'As Daniel Jalkut of Red Sweater Software put it, "Pricing is difficult, because it's hard to ask customers for money to upgrade to something which has few, if any, new features. I won't be surprised if Apple releases the update as a free upgrade, or charges very little. Remember, it will come with all new Macs from the day it is available."'

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
10.6, Snow Leopard, will not be a free update. It will be a 10.x release like any other.

As for whether you should buy now, why not? There is nothing from stopping the machines now from running SL when it is released. Granted, you will have to pay for it when it is released.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

I read the following quote here, but am not so sure: 'As Daniel Jalkut of Red Sweater Software put it, "Pricing is difficult, because it's hard to ask customers for money to upgrade to something which has few, if any, new features. I won't be surprised if Apple releases the update as a free upgrade, or charges very little. Remember, it will come with all new Macs from the day it is available."'

Don't hold your breath. :) You won't see Snow Leopard as a free upgrade across the board. Apple "might" give a free upgrade for a certain period of time for folks who purchased new machines shortly before the release of Snow Leopard.

Do as Van advised. If you want a machine now, why wait? Even if you have to pay $120 or so for Snow Leopard later on, it will be worth it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
If you buy right now, you would get to use and experience use Leopard which I dont think would be easy-to-do after Snow Leopard arrives default on a new Mac.

Is running Leopard, which is a different operating system than Snow Leopard, not an equally enticing opportunity?

Also, Apple says Snow Leopard would bring in speed enhancements. How would you feel that w/o using Leopard?

I mean there is a reason people use Mac OS 9 despite having another faster Mac with OS X around. That's exactly what's cool in geekdom!

These are some points that you might consider why buying a mac now is not bad at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.