the mystery emails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2Ghz intel 10.5.6
Hi, I am running 10.5.6 on an intel imac. Just lately I have started to see emails arriving and departing on my mail activity monitor that dont exist. I have scanned everything I can think of using ClamXav and Macscan but I cant find out what they are. Is this some new form of email virus or spyware? Has anyone else noticed emails arriving or departing that you just cant trace?

They always buddy up with other arriving or departing emails. So like 3 arrive but I can only see 2. I send one out and I see 2 leave.

Anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Are you using IMAP from gmail maybe ? I saw this same thing after I started using this and finally figured out it was the mail app just catching up with gmail. As I tend to delete and move emails online and with my iPhone.

Hope this helps
Clay

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2Ghz intel 10.5.6
New Virus for Mac in Mail?

Hi, Thanks for that. No its not to do with Imap and Gmail. It makes me think its malicious as the 'missing' emails always arrive with others and then you cant find them. If you were not looking by chance at the mail activity monitor you would never know that there were additional emails arriving or being sent out as they never arrive on their own.

Been scanning with ClamXav and Macscan. So far nothing.

Big Mystery. Is this the new Mac Virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I may be wrong on what I assumed I just opened mail for the 1st time today on purpose to see if this helped and the activity monitor went crazy and I did nothing on the iPhone today ! So now Ill run some tests until I figured it out or someone here can let us know just how slow we are !
Clay

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2Ghz intel 10.5.6
So I am not alone

Something either very simple with mail or some new ghost in the machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK after spending most of the day trying to figure this out I have come to this:
It is a combination of gmail and the iPhone. It is just mail.app syncing and catching up with every thing.

I know thats not what you wanted to hear but thats what I got.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2Ghz intel 10.5.6
Mac Virus new

Thanks for all your efforts. Its much appreciated. I dont have an i phone so I dont think it can be attributed to that. It might well be something simple but it does seem a bit suspect to me. If I ever find out I will let you know...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.