Web Design Programs

Reaction score
What do you recommend for an intermidate user for a web design program?

I know Dreamweaver is #1 but it is expensive and I have heard that it can be overwhelming for non professional.

Need some alternatives to look at... thanks! :Oops:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Emacs! Just kidding. Don't use Emacs unless you don't value your sanity ;).

What are you looking to design? If you are looking for something simple, a CMS may be the best solution. If you want to learn to code, I have good things about RapidWeaver and Coda. I use Espresso (as I got it through MacHeist) and I quite like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
To narrow it down, do you want free or have you got a budget?

OP
F
Reaction score
I believe sometimes you get what you pay for and I don't have a problem paying for Dreamweaver - just want to be able to find my way around it.

I know a little bit of code by prefer to do drag and drop editing - less code. I think I will try Rapidweaver first since it seems a little simpler then I can always upgrade to Dreamweaver once I'm more comfortable. Maybe by them there will be a new version out...

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

OP
F
Reaction score
With Rapidweaver can I create a site from scratch or take a template from another site and amend it? I don't have to use their templates do I?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)
With RapidWeaver you use templates. It includes some already with it and you can download many free and commercial ones - there are a lot of choices. But in answer to your question - you need to use one of those templates. It is pretty easy to edit the look of existing templates if you want to learn CSS. Later you can simply open the site in another more sophisticated editor like Freeway or Dreamweaver and make changes (but you will no longer be able to edit that site in RW without losing those changes).

OP
F
Reaction score
I decided to go in between and purchase Freeway and just learn it for now.

Rapidweaver will be too limiting and I think Freeway will end up being a good choice for my experience level. If I stick with it - then I'll invest in Dreamweaver.

Thanks everyone for your help...

;D

OP
F
Reaction score
Freeway Pro 5.0 has been going great - I love it...

Its great - be warned it doesn't import existing html pages very good but its so easy to use after you get your bearings that it doesn't take much time to recreate it.

The support forum has been great - lots of help to answer any questions you might have.

I recommend it for mid level users that don't want to do any code - just drag, drop and go!

~The Fuz

Reaction score
you can download a 1 month free trial of dreamweaver mate. google 'dreamweaver trial for mac'
you can find loads of tutorials free on the web/ youtube also. i have downloaded it yesterday and im a total newbie but managing to do what i want to.
when my free trial runs out i am going to try change my ip address and make a new email address and down load it again :D :D
dont know if it will work though

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
when my free trial runs out i am going to try change my ip address and make a new email address and down load it again :D :D
dont know if it will work though
The trial has nothing to do with your IP address or your email address. The file you download isn't time limited - you could download it now and install five years from now if you wanted. After you install though, it's limited to the trial length.

Isn't doing that a bit dishonest? To me, it's borderline stealing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use Yola. It's probably the best for beginners, and advanced users.
It is an online website builder program.

BEST FEATURES:

Online - you can save a website half way through
FREE- absolutely free
NO ADS- They don't put adverts or banners on your pages.

Yola | Build a Free Website
Regards.

Reaction score
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use Yola. It's probably the best for beginners, and advanced users.
It is an online website builder program.

BEST FEATURES:

Online - you can save a website half way through
FREE- absolutely free
NO ADS- They don't put adverts or banners on your pages.

Regards.

Uh, you could do all of this with a text editor and do it offline. Why on earth would anyone use this?

Reaction score
I believe Freeway Pro is $249 off their website.

Decent program for a quick build or a novice -> intermediate user. I am probably in the "intermediate" category and I find somethings in Freeway to be a bit limited. But that is balanced by the time I save on the smaller tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.