how to change IP address on MacBook

Reaction score
Here's my Question:

My Gmail, hotmail, and facebook were all hacked by someone who is blackmailing me. I am hesitant to get involved with the police allthough I am scared. Everytime I make a new account he seems to get the password superfast, regardless of what the password is. He must have some insane hackers software. How do I get this guy off of my computer and get my privacy back? Should I reset my IP address, because I am pretty sure that he has it, or what else can I do? I will do anything, this situation is out of control.
I deactivated my facebook and he re-activated it. I finally figured out how to delete it. I can't delete my hotmail, it wont delete until it's been enactive for a certain ammount of days, which will never occur if he keeps going on it and sending people emails from "me." I keep changing (gmail) email addresses which is extremely annoying.

any suggesstions of how to get him out of my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
You really need to go to the police. but thats just my opinion. As far as your computer I would say you have a keylogger installed on your machine. It is a software program that keeps trac of everything you do on your computer then sends this info to someone.

I wish I could tell you a sure way of getting rid of it other then doing a complete wipe of your hard drive and a fresh install of your operating system. You would lose all info on your computer ! Hopefully someone smarter(there are alot of them here) then me will have a better way to fix this.

Good luck
Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You really need to do a complete clean install and check for all dodgy software using a spyware scanner, and try and change routers too. Change your routers security key to the highest possible encryption after you've made the new install.
I agree you must have a keylogger somewhere, but only you will know how it's been possible for this person to get to your computer, which they will need to have done. Are you in a place where others have access?
You should go to the police.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Without knowing more detail on your existing technical environment it is not possible to give decent feedback except ...... inform the police.

I believe that every country by now has a " privacy law ".

Cheers
McBie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, make sure that you are not using "weak" passwords.

"Weak" passwords are those that contain easily guessed words (like the names of your friends, family, pets, etc). Also passwords that are of the same case (all upper-case or all lower-case) and don't have special numbers or characters.

An example of a strong password would be:

D0n+5h00T+h3M3ss3nG3R

That spells out "Don't Shoot the Messenger", so it's easy to remember, but it's filled with special characters, numbers and change of case. It would take a very long time to crack a password like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
The person is using a key logger either remote or fixed or is using your router or wireless router to embed the key logger. In order to correct the problem, you have to abandon everything you are using now both physical and virtual. Get a different service provider with different equipment, get a new system, and get all new accounts. While your waiting for everything to take effect, you could use a non-attributable system.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The person is using a key logger either remote or fixed or is using your router or wireless router to embed the key logger. In order to correct the problem, you have to abandon everything you are using now both physical and virtual. Get a different service provider with different equipment, get a new system, and get all new accounts. While your waiting for everything to take effect, you could use a non-attributable system.

LOL, Riiiiight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.