MBP Unibody -- Bootcamp + water = strange things

Reaction score
This is an interesting issue. I spilled water on my MBP unibody (I already read the "spill" thread) and dried it for several days. The thing seems to be working fine, except when I try to boot to bootcamp -- the moment I click "windows" on the start-up screen, after holding the option key down, the screen either goes white or black.

The computer is loading windows, because I can hear the hard drive spinning and chirping like it usually does, except there is no image. Any thoughts you guys have?

Everything is fine in OS X. I already cleared PRAM, held the power button for a minute with all power sources out, and booted in safe boot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say which "Windows". (XP or Vista) Try a repair with your original install media. The repair process is not the same for Vista and XP.

Repair XP: Link

Repair Vista: Link

Keep in mind that a repair process like an install process will write to the Windows boot sector. Just be sure you don't accidently write anything to your OS X partition.

Your Spill: Keep a sharp eye on your machine. Sometimes spill damage shows up later on. Also be aware if you have to take your machine in to Apple for repair sometime in the future, they will know that you spilled water on the machine. Most likely any future repairs will be on you. $$$

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think it's god telling you, "hey, you made the first step to owning a mac, now complete it!" :) I don't think it's worth running windows on here. I paid more to get something better, not to run windows...But, that's just me:)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll try to repair the windows installation. I do wish I never had to use bootcamp, trust me.

On another note, does anyone know whether there are replacement spill sensors for macbook pros?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks guys. I'll try to repair the windows installation. I do wish I never had to use bootcamp, trust me.

On another note, does anyone know whether there are replacement spill sensors for macbook pros?

Instead of using Boot Camp, have you considered running it in a VM? You can go with either Fusion or Parallels ($$). If you're on a tight budget, there's always the free Virtual Box from Sun Microsystems. Link

Replacement spill sensors? I doubt it. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope your MBP stays trouble free throughout its life.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.