CPU Temp high

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
I've got Firefox open, with three tabs, and Word open with an essay.
My CPU temperature is 72 degrees
Shouldnt be that high should it? I've hardly anything open.
It says my fans are at 3458rpm
Thanks!

EDIT:
i've looked on my CPU usage (i use iStats), and it says an app called iavd is using from 98.8%, to even a 125.5%! I think this must be whats causing my laptop to heat up.. I googled iavd and it comes up with anti virus, only thing is, thats not running..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That is high for just Word and Firefox running. Open up your Activity Monitor from Applications -> Utilities and see what else you have running. There may be something going on in the background that is not visible to you. Report back.

PS: Make sure your machine is not sitting on your lap or a carpeted surface where it can't get air beneath it to help cooling.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've got Firefox open, with three tabs, and Word open with an essay.
My CPU temperature is 72 degrees
Shouldnt be that high should it? I've hardly anything open.
It says my fans are at 3458rpm
Thanks!

EDIT:
i've looked on my CPU usage (i use iStats), and it says an app called iavd is using from 98.8%, to even a 125.5%! I think this must be whats causing my laptop to heat up.. I googled iavd and it comes up with anti virus, only thing is, thats not running..

Open Activity Monitor (Applications => Utilities). Click on the CPU tab and sort all processes by CPU utilization. Whatever process is spiking the CPU is the cause of the problem. If that is indeed iavd, while you may thing it's not running, it actually is. Only running processes show in this list.

Apparently, this is not all that uncommon...

Apple - Support - Discussions - CUP fully occupied without any ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i have noticed on my MBP that sometimes Mail will hog the CPU and cause the fans to start, so have just quit mail and reopened Mail and all is back to normal for days. No idea what caused it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
Thankyou for your replies! Much appreciated :)
I went on Activity Monitor and changed to All Processes, it showing up as indeed, taking up 98% of my processor.
I'm just going to quit it, it's making my laptop heat up rather alot.

Reaction score
I googled iavd and it comes up with anti virus, only thing is, thats not running..
Well, obviously it is (running, that is). ;D

Other people have had similar problems with iavd (a.k.a. iAntiVirus) spiking their CPUs. Version 1.3 seems to be somewhat problematic in this area. Some have had luck with re-installing iAntiVirus with either an earlier or later version. You might also consider removing iAntiVirus altogether.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
Jeez, just force quitted it, I had to confirm as admin because it was in 'root' processes or something :S and you should of heard how quickly my fans calmed down. Back to 40 degrees and 1799rpm.
Thanks!

Reaction score
iavd causes lost packets

Not only does it use 99% CPU, but iavd causes 20-40% lost packets on the wireless network. Quitting the process restores to zero packet loss!

***?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 5.1 (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 running Mac OS X 10.6.3)
I know this is way late, but in the hopes that OP still lurks.. use ClamXAV for your antivirus needs. It's better than iAntiVirus and uses a helluva lot less CPU.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" uMBP 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HDD OS X 10.6
would second ClamXAV. I have used for several months and had no issues.

Rob.

Reaction score
Many thanks, Juan; AVOID IANTIVIRUS

Just wanted to express my sincere thanks to Juan Largo & others on this forum… I recently downloaded and installed iAntivirus. All of a sudden, my computer's going berserk, my CPU's up at 70 degrees Celsius and the fan's running constantly at 6,000 rpm.

I just de-installed it. My CPU is at 51 degrees Celsius and my fans are running at a very happy 1890 rpm.

DO NOT INSTALL IANTIVIRUS. EVER.

Off to get ClamXAV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.