How to Connect My Tv To my Macbook pro

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro and I record music on but I also have a 32" soyo tv and I want to know what would I need to connect my macbook to the tv so that I can close the macbook but still see the screen on the soyo tv.

Can someone explain and let me know what I need?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Well for starters we are going to need to know what your tv offers for connectivity......

And well lets be honest both the forum search and google are your friends

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which MacBook Pro do you have? The latest models have a mini display port output while the older models used DVI. At the minimum, you will need an adapter from the video output port of your MBP. The type of adapter depends on which model MBP you have.

Basically, the adapter attaches to another cable (DVI, HDMI, VGA, as required) which then goes to the input of your TV. You control the display output by opening System Preferences, Displays. Adjust the settings from there. You can have the TV display on by itself in mirror mode or extend the desktop of the MBP.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Which MacBook Pro do you have? The latest models have a mini display port output while the older models used DVI. At the minimum, you will need an adapter from the video output port of your MBP. The type of adapter depends on which model MBP you have.

Basically, the adapter attaches to another cable (DVI, HDMI, VGA, as required) which then goes to the input of your TV. You control the display output by opening System Preferences, Displays. Adjust the settings from there. You can have the TV display on by itself in mirror mode or extend the desktop of the MBP.

Regards.

So, you're saying an adapter is needed even if the mbp output is the same port as the tv input?
I'm asking because I have the mid-2008 model mbp and it has the regular dvi output. My TV has a dvi input. A male-male dvi plug wouldn't suffice in my case?? Like this one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Blackbook (late 2008), 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 23" Dell 2309W
You need the mini-DVI to DVI-D dongle which you can get at the Apple store. Then you need either a male DVI-D to HDMI cable or a male to male DVI-D cable depending on your TV's connections.

I got my 10' DVI-D to HDMI cable at newegg last year for around 15 bucks and the dongle at the Apple store for 20. It looks hideous coming out of your Macbook but it works...

Reaction score
MBP (early 2008) output video to Sony Bravia 1080p

Just wanted to confirm the necessary steps to setup my MBP to output video and audio to TV. I have a MPB (early 2008) with DVI and Sony Bravia with HDMI inputs among others.

1) DVI-HDMI cable
2) 3.5mm-RCA cable
3) turn on TV
4) turn on MBP

this is where things get fuzzy and need help.

5) access Preferences/Display

Will I get two screens at this point and should I set one of them to 1900x1080 @ 65hz?

Do I need to close the MBP lid?

I read something about "extended desktop" and "mirroring." What's is each used for and how to I make those selections?

Thanks for the help in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1) that will work
2) depends - are you going to the TV or to your sound system? Not many TVs have a sound input separate from the HDMI input, so that may not work - my Sony Bravia does not.
If you're going to your sound sustem, would recommend optical instead of RCA
3) turn on MBP first
4) turn on TV and change it to the proper input port
5) yes

yes and if that is the proper settings for your TV

no

Extended desktop allows you to do different things and have different windows/apps open on each display by dragging a window from one screen to the other. Basically, you now have two desktops.

Mirroring will give you the identical screen on both displays.

Preferences/Displays - Appearance tab - check or uncheck the 'Mirror Displays' box

Reaction score
(jumping in on your thread)
Is the Mini Display Port on a 13" Macbook Pro the same as Mini-DVI? I've seen Mini-DVI to HDMI adapters, but didn't know if that would work. Or do I have to go Mini Display Port to DVI. Then a DVI to HDMI cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
1. No they are not the same.
2. Yes and yes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.