• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple buying Twitter?

Reaction score
According to a rumor Apple may be in negotiations to buy Twitter, the popular microblogging service. The same rumor is speculating the buy price at around $700 million, and that Apple wants to get the deal clinched enough to announce it at the WWDC.

Gawker - Could Apple Buy Twitter? - Acquisitions

If true, I am wondering what the purpose would be. Apple has long kept to the standard that they are a hardware company, with their software division being more a selling point for the hardware than a product in itself. Could this herald a change in their basic business plan?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Simply put: what a waste of money. As a business supported purely by venture capital with few, if any, plans to turn a profit, Twitter is a money hole. While the service may be popular, from a business perspective it is not very useful (I am by no means an economist though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
What would Apple do with Twitter though?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What would Apple do with Twitter though?
They could probably integrated with some of their products but like I said earlier, there is no profit in that. Spending $700 million on Twitter would be lost money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini T7200 C2D 60GB OCZ Vertex 2GB RAM
Agreed, this makes no sense and does not fit the Apple business model.

Reaction score
As a shareholder I would not be pleased with this purchase. ANd besides, twitter is the lamest thing around. I hope Apple doesn't join forces with such lameness.

Reaction score
Twitter is a fad that will die off as everything else has. I can see why Twitter's owners would sell. Is Apple really that stupid to buy it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Twitter is a fad that will die off as everything else has. I can see why Twitter's owners would sell. Is Apple really that stupid to buy it?

Isn't that what people were saying about Facebook five years ago?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Isn't that what people were saying about Facebook five years ago?

...and MySpace before that.

While I think it might not be a bad idea for Apple to get a bigger chunk of the web services market (right now, MobileMe is pretty much it), I just don't see how this particular business could turn a sizable profit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Twitter's owners would be insane NOT to sell. They know there's no profit generating model with Twitter and getting $700 million is more money than they would ever see on their own. This is very similar to the Youtube owners. They got $1.65 billion in a sale to Google, no way they would have managed to earn that kind of money on their own.

Sales to big companies is always in the best interests of fad companies with no practical business model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
That doesn't seem very smart on apple's behalf. Twitter has nothing to do with apple anyway, and its not going to be making any real profit. Beside, twitter is stupid. I don't really feel like telling everyone I know that I stopped at a red light, just because I can...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
I doubt it; Twitter has been slowly dieing over the past few months. Any money they could have made from it has dramatically reduced now and I doubt Apple see much use in it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 and MBP 15" Late 2008
Apple can't really earn any funds by purchasing Twitter. It's more likely that Google would purchase it, because it's one more step into dominating the web...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If true, I am wondering what the purpose would be. Apple has long kept to the standard that they are a hardware company, with their software division being more a selling point for the hardware than a product in itself. Could this herald a change in their basic business plan?

Actually I this all changed they changed from Apple computers to Apple. And itunes is a software thing and really popular and profitable. So twitter might becoem profitable too one day. Everyone I know famous and not seems to be using twitter today. I can see why people might say Apple might want to buy twitter. But I have to agree with the above posters. This to me does not sound like something Apple would do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Everyone I know famous and not seems to be using twitter today.

Hi, I'm baggss, and I'm a MF veteran. Now that you "know" me. read my sig line. Now you know someone who doesn't.

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
twitter is the dumbest thing ever. seriously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Hi, I'm baggss, and I'm a MF veteran. Now that you "know" me. read my sig line. Now you know someone who doesn't.

;D

Hahahaha! Awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Twitter is dumb for random dinks that say nothing important but using it for networking and business/marketing is a great tool.

Reaction score
Yeah, Twitter definitely has a purpose, and it's not updating your followers that you're taking a crap while eating a bagel.

For example, I run a website that follows my local (and alma mater) high school during it's boys basketball and football seasons. With twitter, I can update the scores on the fly straight to my website from my cell phone. Ever since we integrated it this past fall, it's been great.

I once used twitter to follow mindless celebrities and athletes, updating constantly about random and dumb things, and while I'll say that some of the things they type can be hilarious, it's overall mindless banter..

If you have a purpose for twitter, it can definitely be a great tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.