Can't get online

Reaction score
Ok I just brought a macbook pro and I want to go online but cant!...maybe someone here can help me out because I thought all macbooks come with a built in air port card to connect to the net.

Can someone explain to what I need to get my internet running?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Ok lets start from the beginning ... What are you using for isp? cable or dsl ? What about a wireless router ? Give me some Idea what you need help with.....

Clay

OP
S
Reaction score
My Mother has a dsl in her room...I just purchased the macbook pro so thats all I have right know...I thought thats all I needed when using a macbook....but thats why I posted because I wanted to know what else do I need.

Im not sure what the Isp is or the wireless router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok now we can work on this. Your mothers DSL will be your ISP so we know you have a broadband connection to work with, thats a good thing. Now we need to get you wireless. Can I assume that the dsl modem is just connected to your ma's computer and that it is already not connected to a wireless network, or is ma using a laptop ?

If its just hardwired to the computer ( if dsl probably with a yellow patch cable ) Then you are going to need to purchase a wireless router to created a wireless network so your Macbook can share the internet connection .

I like to use linksys just because they seem to work ( just like your new Mac ) better and are very simple to set up. But any broadband router will work. Just follow all the in box instructions and youll be on the web in no time.

If you need some help just pm me and Ill walk you thru it.

Hope this helps
Clay

OP
S
Reaction score
yes the dsl is connected to my moms pc(desktop) and it is connect her computer goes online and works fine and I also have a dell laptop that I also use and Its goes online with no problem.

I dont understand why I would need a Wireless router and my dell laptop works just fine with out anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well if you have a dell laptop then are you using it wirelessly ? If so then simply connect your Macbook to the same network.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
perhaps your dell is hijacking somoene else's wireless?

the cord running from the modem needs to be connected to a wireless router for any wireless devices in your home to be using your connection - perhaps somehow you've got her desktop acting like a wireless access point, but considering the lack of understanding here, i'd doubt that unless it was set up for you two.

if you hover over the wireless icon on the dell (in the task tray) it should tell you what wireless access point it is connecting to. also if you can find the hardware properties on the desktop, you can find if there is any sort of wireless card that could be being used (i would doubt it).

ideally, what you need to do is what clayneal stated - get yourself a decent wireless router (i happen to like linksys as well) and connect it to the dsl modem, then connect that to the desktop and configure your laptops to connect to the wireless router.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Let's go back to the start and explain some basics here.

In order to connect to the Internet, one would need an Internet Service Provider (ISP, for short). An ISP can be many things - a Cable connection, DSL from the phone company, a cellular-based wireless connection from a mobile broadband provider, etc.

In your case, it sounds like you have DSL. DSL runs through the phone lines and typically a computer would connect to it with a network cable. In some cases, the DSL provider will give you a combination modem and wireless router. This will enable you to connect to the DSL modem through a wireless 802.11-based connection. My guess is that this is how your Dell notebook connects.

In your case, I believe you'll just need to see how your Dell laptop is connected to the Internet.

You can not just buy a laptop, open it up and expect a spontaneous Internet connection.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
cwa, on a combo modem/wap wouldn't there be some indication on the modem for signal, throughput, etc? or simply state on it somewhere that it is a wap?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cwa, on a combo modem/wap wouldn't there be some indication on the modem for signal, throughput, etc? or simply state on it somewhere that it is a wap?

Yup, an antenna, for example, would be a good indicator. Just a guess on my part, but my point to the OP is that Internet Access is not sporadically available just because you happen to have a notebook.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
agreed. i was just trying to get an indicator for him to have something to check the modem for.

also, if there is any documentation they saved, it should say whether it is and tell him how to access it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanx guys , good call on the combo modem /wireless access point. I didnt think about that as I am a cable tech and we dont use many of them here.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my money is still on an accidental hijack. ;)

Reaction score
same problem

I am having a similar problem. I just got a new cable modem yesterday and now the internet only works on the main computer when directly connected to the new modem where as before the modem was connected to the router and then the router to the computer. I can not figure out how to get the router to work. When I hook up the modem to the router then the computer my macbook says that it has full strength on my wireless network but the internet still doesn't work. It also doesnt work when I connect it to the router with an ethernet cord. I hope someone understands this problem. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 1st guess would be that you had dsl before and just switched to cable ?
And the cable guy just hooked the modem to the computer because most companies wont allow techs to mess with 3rd party hardware. My experience is that dsl uses a static ip address and the cable modem uses dynamic. Try unplugging the modem and router for at least a minute then plug the modem in first let it power up then power up the router this will allow the router to issue a new ip address to the laptop.

Now if this doesnt work simple reconfig the router just as if it were new and youll be good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.