Backing up documents to CD/DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi

Stupid question probably but hey..........

I regularly back up my itunes and iphoto libraries to DVD but have all my spreadsheets and documents backed up to a flash drive at present.

How to I go about getting them onto a disc instead though?

I can't seem to find any way to drag and drop or copy items onto CD/DVD.

Thanks, Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you use Toast you can back them up as data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
From Finder --> File --> Burn " foldername " to disc

You can also create a " Burn Folder " and drag files into that and then burn onto disc.

Finder can do it all for you.

Hope this helps

Cheers
McBie

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
From Finder --> File --> Burn " foldername " to disc

You can also create a " Burn Folder " and drag files into that and then burn onto disc.

Finder can do it all for you.

Hope this helps

Cheers
McBie

Thanks McBie - so simple!

Now another question, what is "Toast"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Toast is proprietary disk burning software, and it isn't free. It is arguably the best around, but free burning applications like the one that is already part of OS X will do the job adequately, also freeware such as Burn.

A suggestion - if you use DVD-RWR (rewrite) disks, you can update files that need doing, whereas with once-only write disks (DVD-RW) you cannot delete and then rewrite. If the documents are valuable, make sure you purchase high-quality disks (eg. Imation).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.