Install.exe coming up as text document

Reaction score
I've been trying to install powerpoint from a school website. When I download the install.exe and I double click it, it comes up as a text document. I thought this might of just been a problem with the File but others had no problems. And now I've been getting other programs from friends to put on my new Macbook and they are doing the same thing. Anyone have any idea why my Macbook is recognizing all these install.exe as texts?

Reaction score
These are Windows applications and will therefore not run natively in OSX. You either need the Mac versions or install Windows through Bootcamp or Parallels etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like the other poster said, OSX and a Mac is not Windows and does not run Windows Executables which is what an .EXE is. You need software that runs on OSX. Otherwise you would need to install Windows along side of OSX.

I hope the applications your friends are giving you are legal as we do not allow any discussion here of any pirated software.

Reaction score
I've been trying to install powerpoint from a school website. When I download the install.exe and I double click it, it comes up as a text document.
PowerPoint is not a "free" program that you can just download from a school website and install on your computer (unless you or someone else paid for it). If you want to install PowerPoint, you'll need to purchase the Mac version of Office. Or you can install OpenOffice, which is open source and free.

Reaction score
PowerPoint is not a "free" program that you can just download from a school website and install on your computer (unless you or someone else paid for it).

If it's a school-run server and the school has a volume license then yes, it's perfectly legal. Universities do this all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
It could also be the Powerpoint viewer, which is free as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You can also try to run it in darwine, but it looks like powerpoint has at best silver compatibility (several things don't work right)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.