Battery/Long-Term Storage

Reaction score
I have a white 13'' MacBook which I will have to put in storage very soon for about 2 years. Apple recommends I store the battery with a 50% charge to keep it from a deep discharge state and to help prevent capacity loss. Do I need to do anything else to keep my battery from dying? Also, do I need to do anything else to get my MacBook ready for storage?

Reaction score
Put it in something to cut down on dust. A plastic bag is probably good, or even better one of those vacuum bags.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I thought bags were a no-no because they could create condensation and make the battery leak/explode. It's funny how they told you to keep it at 50% because they(apple) me to fully drain the battery so that it doesn't create memory and limit its charge capacity next time you want to charge it.
I would put everything back inside a box. The box it came with would be the best option, but I don't know if you have it. Definitely not a bag though.
I'm curious about that battery charging thing now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
do not fully drain the battery or it most likely will never charge again. but i recommend removing it from the laptop to eliminate the laptop using it to keep the cmos battery fully charged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
do not fully drain the battery or it most likely will never charge again. but i recommend removing it from the laptop to eliminate the laptop using it to keep the cmos battery fully charged.

Do you know this for sure? Because i was told to fully drain the battery, by both the tech guys at bestbuy and the genius people at apple. I'm doing it right now on my other laptop that I wont be using for a long time:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Do you know this for sure? Because i was told to fully drain the battery, by both the tech guys at bestbuy and the genius people at apple. I'm doing it right now on my other laptop that I wont be using for a long time:Angry:

I'm not sure but I would listen to the knowledge base that was published directly from Apple. It says to keep at 50 percent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm not sure but I would listen to the knowledge base that was published directly from Apple. It says to keep at 50 percent.

its funny how the same people said to drain the battery if storing for a long period of time.....i'm really starting to trust those guys:Angry: looks like the only thing they know is how to sell computers! I'm going to charge up my other battery now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.