• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

ATTN: Gmail users

Reaction score
awesome, I was wondering if there was a mac version gmail notifier :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've used both and they work well. I'm currently using gCount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I use the gmail extension for firefox, displays in the bottom of the window if you hgave any gmail, I also use a konfab widget that checks your gmail for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Gmail also has POP-access. So you can use it in Mail, or any other Email-client.
I'm not a big fan of webmail interfaces, so that's much better for me... :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
i agree with avalon

OP
solidstalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
Avalon said:
Gmail also has POP-access. So you can use it in Mail, or any other Email-client.
I'm not a big fan of webmail interfaces, so that's much better for me... :eek:

Yeah, i use it with mail and my hotmail with Entourage...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah, I guess for me POP3 with Gmail is pointless. Why bother to have 1gb of space if you're just downloading all messages to your machine?

Personally I can't wait to see Gmail offer IMAP access. Much more useful.

OP
solidstalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
schweb said:
Yeah, I guess for me POP3 with Gmail is pointless. Why bother to have 1gb of space if you're just downloading all messages to your machine?

Yeah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
schweb said:

Yeap, IMAP would be better, definitely. But even with POP3, I can setup Mail so that it only downloads new messages, and never erases mails on the server. That way I can keep those ones I find important locally, but still use the Gmail account as a 1Gig mail storage.
And I just simply prefer to handle all my mails through one single app, instead of having to open part of it in Mail, and the other's in different tabs or windows in Safari. I only have a simple 17"-screen, so not that much screen space to waste. ;)
Just my personal preference. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I use a similar application called Gee!. It works very nicely, has certain features that some of the other applications lack, but is still very simple and streamlined. I'd definitely recommend it.

http://www.lloydslounge.org/gee/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.