Difference between Mini 2.0GHz and 2.26GHz?

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if the faster processor is worth the extra $150. The numbers say that it is 13% faster. So, a CPU task that takes 1 second with the 2.0GHZ Mini will take 0.88 second with the 2.26GHZ, and a 30 second task will take 26.6 seconds. Is that the right way to interpret the difference, or am I missing something?

Jeff

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One quick thing I will point out. The new Mini's CPU's are soldered to the Logic board and can never be upgraded, so if you need the extra speed, better purchase it now or you are stuck with the slower CPU. Doing heavy Video compression and conversion you will notice some speed difference. How much I am not sure.

What are you planning on doing with your Mini?

OP
J
Reaction score
Mostly photo and general computing

What are you planning on doing with your Mini?

Mostly photo processing using Lightroom and either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. I am using Lightroom on my late 2006 Macbook with 2GB and a 2.0GHz processor, and it runs OK, so I think that the 2.0GHz Mini will likely be enough. I do use some processor intense plugins in PS on my PC, and I'd guess that those would benefit from the faster processor. I'm just trying to understand how much.

I thought about just sticking with the Macbook, but I want to go to 4GB, to have Firewire 800, and to run dual monitors.

I am trying to get rid of my PC and move 100% to the Mac, so I would also be using the Mini for general computing. I am a very experienced PC user and a moderately experienced Mac user, but I find the Mac to be less aggravating, and life is short.

Jeff

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'd likely only see a 3-8% real world difference between the two of them and depending on the app.

You can check Tom's Hardware CPU charts and see if those two are listed - am pretty sure with the mini you'll want the mobile CPU charts.

If you're not doing a lot of encoding and sitting there with a timer, unlikely you would notice much between them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think $150 for that small speed bump is a bit much.

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I say always buy as much processor as you can afford. The theory being that it is one of those things you can't upgrade later (without buying a whole new computer). That extra little bump in speed might not mean much now, but a few years from now when it reaching the end of its lifecycle and running more resource intensive programs, the extra horsepower will buy you more time before you have to upgrade. And if you do get the machine and think its not quite as fast as you'd like, you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't fork over the little bit extra in the first place.

OP
J
Reaction score
Money saved on processor towards memory and hard drive

Just my opinion, but I say always buy as much processor as you can afford. The theory being that it is one of those things you can't upgrade later (without buying a whole new computer). That extra little bump in speed might not mean much now, but a few years from now when it reaching the end of its lifecycle and running more resource intensive programs, the extra horsepower will buy you more time before you have to upgrade. And if you do get the machine and think its not quite as fast as you'd like, you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't fork over the little bit extra in the first place.

I see your point - that's they way I usually think myself - but I am on a tight budget and the $150 will help pay for memory and hard drive upgrades, and I think that those will do more for overall machine performance than a little more processor speed.

My 2006 2.0GHz Macbook is responsive with Lightroom, and on the occasions that I use apps like Handbrake, I leave the room and let them run, so a few minutes won't make a lot of difference.

By the way, I am also considering an older refurbished iMac with the 24" matte screen for photo editing. The issue there is the cost (shipping and taxes) of getting it from the US to my home in Mexico.

Jeff

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's an even bigger rip-off when you discover the newegg price difference between the retail version of those two processors is $13.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's an even bigger rip-off when you discover the newegg price difference between the retail version of those two processors is $13.

When the new Minis came out I was shocked that the $799 did not have a faster CPU as part of the price like all the older Mini's before it. So I see your point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.