Smart Mailbox deleted emails deleting from mailbox...

Reaction score
Due to a high volume of email, I LOVE the idea of Smart Mailboxes. I started using them recently; however discovered that when I deleted SOME of the items from my inbox, they would also delete from my Smart Mailbox.

I got so nervous about relying on it, that I moved everything into manual mailboxes again (ugh).

I'd like to set up Smart Mailboxes again to manage my mail, but I don't know what I did wrong to make this occur.

I'm not a spaz, but what did I do wrong? Anyone???

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
The behavior you experienced is correct -- deleting from your main mailbox will delete from the smart mailbox (it is "smart" enough to recognize this). If you want to organize a little better, use Rules (See Preferences>rules). Set a rule based on certain criteria in your incoming mail messages, and then tell Mail to move any mail that matches that criteria to a specified mailbox. Easy enough.

OP
B
Reaction score
It sounds kind of round-about complicated, but I'm sure there was some logic to it when they were developing it. Thank you so much Mary :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You can make a New Mailbox and drag appropriate mail to that so that it will be out of your inbox but still available should you need to go in there looking for it. Smart Mailbox is really only a sorting device and as Skybolt suggests you can make a rule to put all incoming per rule into the New Mailbox so that it does not show up in the Inbox

OP
B
Reaction score
Do Mail "Delete" Rules annihilate messages?

I set a Rule in my Mail app Preferences to have all emails from a spammer automatically deleted.

A couple of hours later, I was working and I heard my New Mail alarm, but when I checked my email, there was nothing - no indicator that an email of any kind had arrived in any folder, including the Trash.

I'm okay if this is the way the Rule works, but I just wanted to confirm whether the Delete instruction will delete a message without a trace of it arriving, but will sound the alarm to let you know that it's working...

Thanking you in advance for your reply.

OP
B
Reaction score
I like this... thanks to you as well! I just get soooo tired of routing through my inbox after I open a message, searching for it - even if I sort by date or alpha... I am definitely going to do this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a look at my rule here iMac - Mail 2.1.3 - Mac-Forums.com - that gives a weeks grace to have a look in Trash for any new before they are deleted automatically. Once they are moved out of Trash by delete i guess they may be recoverable on the ISPs server depending on how you have that set up.

OP
B
Reaction score
Do Mail "Delete" Rules annihilate messages?

I set a Rule in my Mail app Preferences to have all emails from a spammer automatically deleted.

A couple of hours later, I was working and I heard my New Mail alarm, but when I checked my email, there was nothing - no indicator that an email of any kind had arrived in any folder, including the Trash.

I'm okay if this is the way the Rule works, but I just wanted to confirm whether the Delete instruction will delete a message without a trace of it arriving, but will sound the alarm to let you know that it's working...

Thanking you in advance for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts and similar threads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.