Wireless network iMac, Macbook & pc without a router!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook, iPhone
It is my understanding that I don't NEED to buy a router...

That I can set my iMac up AS a router (using my cable modem) and have my Macbook and pc access the internet through a wireless connection to that iMac.

1.) Is this fairly simple?

2.) Fairly "safe" ?
(I say this because Apple Support would not walk me through this).

3.) Is this something somebody can lay out for me, step by step??

Sincerely,
Grant

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It is my understanding that I don't NEED to buy a router...

That I can set my iMac up AS a router (using my cable modem) and have my Macbook and pc access the internet through a wireless connection to that iMac.

1.) Is this fairly simple?

Simple to set up? Somewhat. Reliable? Not at all...

2.) Fairly "safe" ?

In my opinion, no. You can set up wireless encryption, but it adds to overhead and will slow your machine down.

(I say this because Apple Support would not walk me through this).

3.) Is this something somebody can lay out for me, step by step??

Sincerely,
Grant

I would recommend against it. As cheap as wireless routers are these days (less than $50), it's WELL worth it to have a real, dedicated wireless router.

OP
Granto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook, iPhone

In my opinion, no. You can set up wireless encryption, but it adds to overhead and will slow your machine down.

I would recommend against it. As cheap as wireless routers are these days (less than $50), it's WELL worth it to have a real, dedicated wireless router.

GOOD STUFF!
THANK YOU!
Yeah, I've been following the step-by-step instructions, but have already hit a wall or two.
1st: It sets up my first & last name & "iMac" on the neighborhood wireless community. I can password protect, but I don't want my neighbors knowing my first & last name and the fact that I have a $2,000 computer!!!!! Call me over-protective, but heck -- this is not the best of neighborhoods. Ya know!?
>>>Problem is, I went into System Preferences > Sharing > Edit Computer Name and changed the name to something a little more generic. However, and even after re-booting the iMac, when I checked the wireless community out with my Macbook, the new name wasn't there! My old computer name WAS instead (advertising my full name and "iMac"). Even Apple Support (on hold as I type) cannot figure out how to change the name at an even more ROOT level! Sheesh.

2nd: that page seems to only focus on Mac, and I need to know how to get my pc also on this Internet Sharing Network.

As such... I'm thinking just buy a router. :Smirk:

OP
Granto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook, iPhone
That's actually what I would recommend as well, but I usually try to only answer the question asked...

And that you did!
Thank you.
I appreciate you taking the time.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
Router recommended.
However, knowing how to use your Mac as a router can be indispensable. As has the csae been with me.

At times I have to go over friends, and I need internet on my MacBook. While its a herculean task to use a Windows Vista PC as a router, testified by the fact that half-an-hour led me to no results, a few clicks is all that one needs on a Mac.

The most I could do after a couple of google searches is to use ad-hoc network to share, which too wasnt intuitive to create, and does not work on more than 2 devices.

I have recently bought a Mac, and I am new to the wireless world as well. Think about the oddities! ;)

OP
Granto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook, iPhone
Router recommended.
However, knowing how to use your Mac as a router can be indispensable. As has the csae been with me.

At times I have to go over friends, and I need internet on my MacBook. While its a herculean task to use a Windows Vista PC as a router, testified by the fact that half-an-hour led me to no results, a few clicks is all that one needs on a Mac.

The most I could do after a couple of google searches is to use ad-hoc network to share, which too wasnt intuitive to create, and does not work on more than 2 devices.

I have recently bought a Mac, and I am new to the wireless world as well. Think about the oddities! ;)

COOLIO!

Reaction score

I agree that it is not safe since the WEP encryption is known as very weak but it will not slow down your mac. It is the network card which does the encryption not your mac.

But anyway I'd go for a wireless router.

OP
Granto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook, iPhone
Thank You To Everyone For Taking The Time!

I agree that it is not safe since the WEP encryption is known as very weak but it will not slow down your mac. It is the network card which does the encryption not your mac.

But anyway I'd go for a wireless router.

GOT IT. I'M GOING TO DO THAT.
I'LL GET A ROUTER THAT WORKS WELL FOR BOTH PC & MAC.

Thanks to everyone!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.