Unsolvable Charging Problem

Reaction score
Ive been having trouble with my ibook g4 for a while now. When the battery could only hold about 20mins, and the charger snapped i decided it was time to buy a new charger and battery. After having bought both, i plugged the charger in and fully charged the laptop, then calibrated it. Now when i charge the laptop the cord turns orange, and it charges for around an hour and then the colour disappears. I can use the laptop until the battery runs out, but then when i try to put it on charge the laptop will not charge until i let it rest for a few hours. I cannot use the ibook using ac power, i need to charge it then use it for a few hours, then let it rest for few hours. I dont know if the problem is with the charger or the battery.

Any help would be appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It also could be a defective DC In board in the iBook. Also you might try resetting the PMU (Power Management Unit) as that can cause those symptoms from what I have seen all over the net.

It's been a while but this should reset the PMU on an iBook:

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.

Wait 5 seconds.

Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

OP
L
Reaction score
hi. thanks for that. i followed your instructions but how do i know if it was successful

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does it charge now? If not, I guess not!

Hope it helps. If not it could be the external supply or that DC In board. I doubt it's the battery again this soon.

OP
L
Reaction score
well it does charge, but if the problem arises again do i need to do a pmu reset again? and for some strange reason at times when i touch the end of the cord with my finger it turns green.. ???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mint iBook G4 with the factory charger does that. It's the capacity in your skin. I can get mine to glow green also if I hold the end between my thumb and finger. Does it light while charging?

OP
L
Reaction score
oh ok. so its not a huge issue then right? it does light when i plug it in but i cant use the laptop while its plugged in on ac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can not run the iBook with the adapter plugged in I have a feeling the DC In board in the iBook is shot. You say it now charges?

I would be very upset it I could not run my laptop off AC power.

OP
L
Reaction score
yeah im am ! how would i go about replacing the dc in board.. is it costly?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Not a lot. If the battery charges then the AC Adapter must be putting out some voltage. Do you have any kind of Voltmeter either Digital or Analog that you can be sure the adapter is putting out the correct voltage before you spend $$$? Also notice there are 2 different DC In boards depending if your iBook G4 is a 12" or 14".

Here are a few threads to check out about the DC In board and it's issues.

Apple - Support - Discussions - ibook G4 DC In-Board ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - DC In Board or Logic Board problem? ...

OP
L
Reaction score
oh seems quite complicated. but thanks for all the info. will have a read of it.. thanks so much for that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.