RAM for running Windows programs?

SCP

Reaction score
Hello - I'm moving from an Acer desktop & HP laptop (both running Vista 32 bit) to the 17" MBP. I've been watching the threads re RAM, but haven't seen my particular question answered - my apologies if I've missed it.:Oops:

I will need to run Windows based statistical programs fairly regularly, so intend to use either Fusion or Parallel. Would 8GB RAM be better under this circumstance? I'm in no hurry to spend an extra $1k, but don't want to skimp on resources either.

I'm not sure I'm daring enough to try upgrading myself, but if I did start with 4GB, it's 2x2GB. 8GB is 2x4GB. Would I have to discard the original 4GB to upgrade? Thanks for the help! --SCP

If I may take this thread one step further - I'm moving to a MBP after a lifetime on Windows. I will need to run Windows based statistical programs fairly regularly, so intend to use either Fusion or Parallel. Would 8 RAM be better under this circumstance? I'm in no hurry to spend an extra $1k, but don't want to skimp on resources either. Thanks --SCP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.