Transfer Applications From G3 to iBook

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 ibook 1.33, 512 ram, 80gig hd, bluetooth and airport
Hi all, i hope i find you all well!

I currently have an old and faithful G3 which has a load of applications that i would like to transfer over to my brand spanking new G4 iBook :headphone

Is it possible for me to connect the 2 via ethernet, switch on apple talk and drag and drop the applications from one harddrive to the other???

many thanks

mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, thats possible, I dont think appletalk is necessary though, or you can use a network cable, or firewire, use target disk mode and just drag and drop. though I cantell you you'll need to reinstall most apps, very few will work if you just drag and drop, cause you leave behind application support, extensions, etc. serials too.

OP
M

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thought as much!! tbh i was just being lazy as all my disks are upstairs in the loft after i moved house!!
Looks like its time to go digging :miner:

ps nice friendly forum keep it up chaps and chapettes :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually if you want you can have the G4 just automagically grab all the data off the G3..

I think when you first boot up, there is an option to transfer all your stuff, accounts and settings over from the older 'book.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/upgradetonewmac.html

OP
M

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what a find, il try thats out as soon as i get home!!! you will have totally made my day if it works!!!

many thanks ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.