Vista PC can't see airport base station in network map

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been searching forums for hours trying to fix this problem but can't seem to find a solution.

I have two PCs (1 vista and 1 xp) connected via ethernet to the AEBS router. The network is set up fine, allowing internet access and file sharing between the PCs (and my xbox 360). Both PCs are visible to each other in their network maps.

My problem is that neither PC can locate the AEBS as a network device so I am unable to access my NTFS formatted external hard drive that is connected to the AEBS via USB.

I followed external hard drive/airport utility setup instructions in many attempts to make the hard drive visible with no luck. The airport utility correctly recognizes the hard drive in the disks tab but nothing shows up for the PCs. Not sure if it's relevant but I was able to plug a printer into the AEBS and use bonjour to map the printer with no issues.

I know there is no Mac in my setup but I do have an iphone if that counts :Smirk:

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hmmm, strange. I pretty much have the exact same setup as you with no issues. Have you given your network a name? Have you given the drive/volume a name as well? You can do both of these via the Airport Utility. Also, you may need to either give some security info.

In the AirPortUtility dialog, you will see the disks tab. Navigate to this, click advanded:

You will see a few options

1) Enable file sharing
2) Secure Shared Disks (drop down list box)
3) Airport Disk Access (drop down list box)

You may need to modify one or all of these settings for your network.

Also, can you try directly mounting the AirDisk in Windows. In Vista or XP you would simple go to the Run Dialogue box, or file explorer and type:

\\NetworkName\\DriveName

The only real difference between your setup and mine is that you have NTFS volumes, but this shouldn't matter AFAIK.

OP
W
Reaction score
The network is named and the drive is named "GreenDriveII" when it's plugged into the vista PC and shows up as "micronet fantom drive 2.10" in the AirPort Utility. I don't see any option in airport utility to change the drive name.

1) Enable file sharing: I have file sharing enabled
2) Secure Shared Disks (drop down list box): set to "with device password"
3) Airport Disk Access (drop down list box): set to "read and write"

settings for windows file sharing are:
Workgroup: Workgroup
WINS Server: blank

I tried mounting the drive directly (using both names from above) with no luck

\\basestation\GreenDriveII and \\basestation\micronet fantom drive 2.10 both gave errors of not being able to find "basestation" which is congruent with vista not being able to see the AEBS (which is named in the airport extreme tab as "basestation")

When I tried \\basestation.local\GreenDriveII I got an error that said "basestation.local" is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and printer sharing (SMB)" with this computer. However, I have file and printer sharing enabled in the Vista setup...

Reaction score
Same problem... would love to know the solution

I have the exact same problem as described above. I've Googled about everything under the sun and can't find the answer -- even visited an Apple store today.

If someone has the answer, a detailed solution would be appreciated.

Reaction score
same problem here 2 windows vista pc's and 1 windows 7 laptop on an airport extreme all new.funny how i heard of none of these issues when they talked about how great this thing was.now im stuck with a basic router.yet its so simple voila! my ***....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp 2.4GHz, 2GB ram 15.4
Have you got "network discovery" turned on in Windows 7? I can't remember what Vista's setup was.
I have Windows 7 PC and MacBook Pro. Using airport extreme via ethernet for PC and wireless for MacBook Pro.
In Network and Sharing centre
In advanced sharing settings:
network discovery - on
file and printer sharing - on
public folder sharing - on
128 bit encryption - on
password protected sharing - off
Allow Windows to manager Homegroups - however I don't have Homegroup, have workgroup.
Don't know if this is any help. I do have some problems - mainly with transferring files from the PC to the hard drive connected to the airport extreme. I can transfer files more easily to the laptop directly than to that hard drive from the PC. I don't have any trouble doing it from the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Firstly, you need to ensure that you have set up a workgroup on the windows machines, and that that all components of your network are members of the same workgroup.

I have a Time capsule, not an AE, also an iMac connected to an XP and Vista machine, but the settings are identical:

1. In TC/AE utility - goto 'Disks' and then 'File Sharing' add the same 'workgroup' name as setup in Windows where indicated, this allows the AE/TC to join the windows file sharing network.
2. In Vista - goto 'Network & Sharing center'>'Show Map of Network'
3. Your AE or TC will now be visible>your attached hard drive will be a sub-component of this
4. If it's not at the top-level map, it will be listed underneath - browse to the drive you want by selecting the TC/AE (and logging on to the TC/AE using whatever credentials were chosen at initial setup)
5. If you want to connect directly to your attached hard drive (essentially bypassing steps 2, 3, 4), you can 'map the drive' (ensuring you check the 'reconnect at logon' option in Vista/XP)
5. For this you will need to enter the following in the 'Map Network Drive' dialogue box:

\\[your TC/AE name]\[your attached device name]

After a short delay the attached drive will open (if you have not setup with any security/logon), and it will be available next time you logon to the machines the drive has been networked too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Have you installed Bonjour onto the PC laptops out of interest?

Reaction score
I just posted this on another thread....

I'm a newbie too and have the same problem.

I have a HP Laptop on Vista with AEBS and a external HD that can't get seen.

Was on the phone with Apple tried all ways to get it going, internet works fine even have a WIFI printer going fine too.

I even tried to change the HD to another brand to see if that worked.

But here's the thing I plugged in a crappy Kingston Data Traveller 1G usb stick and it worked fine.

Apple have referred it to their engineers to see if the there is anything wrong with the firmware.

Should be interesting what the outcome will be.....

And yes tried mapping the network drive and it doesn't work,

Try plugging in a USB stick and you will see the difference, when you go to Program files and open up Airport Agent it will ask for a password and in Airport when you go to Disks it will allow you to check the name and capacity.

Like I said Apple have referred it to their engineers to see if it's an error in the firmware.

Hope it helps...

Reaction score
I have the same issue on 2 HP Vista laptops and a desktop on XP-SP3. The AE base is not visible on ANY of the networks (private or Guest), but everything else is, internet works, Apple TVs (2), PS3 (3) and everything else is working fine.

The USB Drive, a WD Elements 320GB drive is not accessible to the network. I tried your trick with a 4GB Cruzer stick and the POS works!!!! Could it be size?? Drive type??

Otherwise, the router rocks... Waiting for a solution to this issue...

Thanks for the help and listening (reading)to the rant...

Reaction score
Ok. Found a work-around to see the AE and disk:

The drive(s) are formatted in NTFS and apple AE cannot allow read or write to it. I downloaded MacDrive 8 and re-formatted the disk for apple HFS+, reconnected and voila!!! there it is and ALL the comuters can see it, write to it and access it (Vista and XP too!!!). I did NOT mess with exFAT or FAT32.

However, my Vista laptop froze when I uninstalled MacDrive 8 and had to do a restore to an earlier point. Will work on this computer to get it up again, but the drive is there and it WORKS!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.