• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

There's gotta be a way . . .

Reaction score
I was given an avi film that is in Mandarin Chinese. The problem is, the movie has Portuguese subtitles hard-coded into it, and unfortunately, I don't speak Portuguese , only being fluent in English and Bad English.

Is there any way to recode the movie without the Portuguese subtitles? I'd like to pull out the Portuguese subtitles, and replace them with English subtitles so I can tell who's who and what's what.

There's just gotta be a way to extract hard-coded subtitles from an avi. Nothing is impossible.

I'm using a G4 Emac, OS 10.4.11.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It depends on how it was encoded, but it was likely using something like Virtuadub, in which case the subtitles are now part of the movie encode itself.

If it's a commercial film that's been ripped, it can't be discussed here anyway, but either way, you'll either have to learn Portuguese or get hold of the source.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If it's in there...then you have to crop the whole movie and start from there. >_<"

Reaction score
Alternatively, depending on the exact nature of the movie (theme and length), you could ask someone on an internet forum who speaks portugese to translate it and than you could put in an extra english subtitle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.