iPhoto Image Resize and File Size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 2014 model, 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD
Hello everyone,

I got a macbook almost a week ago. I am totally new to a mac and I am just loving it, however, there is one thing about which I have no clue and I was wondering if you could help me out.

Whenever I import photos from my camera since they are in a huge size (dimension wise as well as memory wise), I used to convert them in a lesser dimension size and the pictures used to be around 2-3 MB but when I used to change their sizes, they used to become like just a few KB. How do I do that in this since this way a lot of disk space used to be saved and the quality of the pics remained quite good as well. Can anyone tell me how do we do that in iPhoto or is there any other software to do that?

Reaction score
IPhoto won't resize like you want, so you will have to do it before you import your photos into iPhoto. I keep a folder on my desktop call "New Pictures" that all my photos from the camera go into. From there you can do what ever you need before importing to iPhoto. The first thing I do is rename the new photos, but you can resize from there if you want to, I just like my photos kept just as they came off the camera. Once you have them in a folder, just drag the folder to the Dock and drop on "Preview". Preview will the open up and show all the photos you just dropped on it in a side bar. Next select all the photos in the side bar by typing ( command + a). This will hightlight all the photos in the sidebar. Next got to the "Tools" menu in Preview and click on "Adjust Size". After you set up the size you want, click OK then you use "Save All" in the "File" menu. I think I would test out the size on some copys before using "Save All" for the first time as it will over write all the photos in that folder.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much. I had no idea about doing all this. That surely was great help. I am still learning the Mac so i had no idea that you could do all this too. Thanks a lot. I am just heading to my college so I'll try that later in the evening, however, if I still have any confusions regarding this, I'll surely ask you again. Thanks :)

Reaction score
You can use Automator to set up a workflow to do batch changes to photos. You can scale by ratio to ensure you're not cutting anything out too.

Reaction score
Automator is really great. everything becomes easy when you use it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How exactly do we use the automator? Btw do you guys make events in iPhoto or do you create albums? I am slightly getting confused here now. Doesn't these software have any sort of tutorials or something like that? I am getting a bit confused now actually...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I try to add a few pics in my iPhoto library and it says can't add it since it is already in the library whereas I can't find those pics anywhere...I am confused even more now :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For quick resizing of photos, you might also want to try the excellent freeware piece CocoViewX, available CocoViewX - Mac OS X Picture View. It has a feature called HTML Export, which I use all the time these days. It is intended for building web page galleries of photos (which it does an excellent job of by the way!), but as part of that, it will resize whole folders of photos in a single click.

You just point it at the folder and tell it to export it. It asks you what dimensions you want for the exported pictures and you set your desired size there. Then just do the export and it cranks through each picture and resizes it. If you are just want the resized pictures, throw away the HTML gallery file and you are done.

CocoViewX is also simply a great image viewer - I strongly recommend it.

Reaction score
Sorry for the huge bump, but I use Resizeit - no downloads - super easy for one pic at a time which is all I need. It doesn't store your pic on their server though, so you need to save it to wherever you want- iPhoto, docs, etc.

And it works fast - a bit slower for the sketch feature, which I rarely use anyway.

WAY easy for casual use. Resize, Shrink, Sketch, Blur, Grayscale and Crop Images or photos online

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.