2.4 15" overheating and shutting off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Is this an issue with all MBPs?

I installed Rise of Legends on my Vista partition and after playing for about 15 minutes, the computer put itself into sleep. It started right back up and continued where it left off in the game. About 3-5 minutes later, it put itself into sleep mode again and didn't turn back on.

I run the MBP closed and hooked up to an external monitor. You can hear the fans running at full blast when playing games. I opened the MBP up the second time and the inside was so hot that I couldn't leave my hand on the metal by the upper left side of the keyboard for more than three seconds without getting burned. I had to let the thing sit for a minute and cool down before it would turn back on.

I'm going to make an appointment at the Apple store (yay an hour drive!) to have the seriously inconsistent backlighting on the screen looked at and I guess have them check this out.

I can see why it would over heat though. I opened it up to install new memory last week and there's two tiny fans in there. The case is so small, that there's no room for air to circulate.

Short of Apple telling me that it's supposed to operate like that, am I just going to have to run it while it's open and sitting on top of some kind of notebook cooling device?

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Open the lid.

The fans draw air through the keyboard and yer bottlenecking yer cooling system.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For playing demanding games I always leave whatever Notebook computers lid up I am using. I don't play games that much on notebooks as I have a dedicated gaming computer, but even my AMD 64 lappy gets pretty hot if I push it.

I take it this is the MBP before the new Unibody one?

The MBP's are so thin with so much CPU and Graphics power I am shocked they run as well as they do when pushed.

Another thing to note, I have read many times Intel Macs run hotter running Windows than with OSX. That could be part of it. I noticed my Mini running way hotter in Vista when doing demanding work.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So find a place for it to sit while it's open then?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
it's a new unibody. I'm probably going to order one of the laptop coolers for when I'm using it at home. Try that along with finding a place to set it with the lid open. I need a bigger desk. I'm barely going to have room for my new 30" monitor. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.