• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Widescreen problems using FCE to iDVD

Reaction score
Hey question for you. When exporting from final cut express I use the .mov conversion and it converts it into mov. okay then I open up idvd and click widescreen format. I then import my video alright. Then when I go to view it, it has gray bars on the side and black bars on the top. I understand the black bars on the top but not the gray bars on the side. Then I thought that they would go away once I burn it onto a dvd and it didn't. The dvd still worked but I have black bars on the side now and on top. I understand that the ones on the top should be there but frustrated at the fact that the horizontal bars on the side are there. I have a widescreen tv and hoped that it would fill the screen but it doesn't. Okay I also did another video for our jv-b team, did the same exact thing but I didn't have the bars on the side or on top and it was in widescreen format too. So go figure. If you can help that would be amazing! Oh and the camera settings when I imported the video are set to widescreen when I was recording.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.