I can't download torrents on my new mac!

Reaction score
Help! I can't download torrents on my new mac. I know that it's not the problem with the torrents, because I try it on my PC and they work fine (my MAC and PC are connected to the same internet). Do I have to change the settings on my Mac to enable them to download torrents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
what torrent client are you using? Transmission is a popular one. I use it myself with no problems.

Reaction score
You might need to forward some ports to your mac in case you are using a router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
You might need to forward some ports to your mac in case you are using a router.

I 2nd that, i had to do that with my router for my PCs, i don't trust torrenting on my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Using the torrent for legit and legally acceptable reasons, right?

Seeing as he did not stake so we will be going with that, and secondly I don't think it is right to ask. If he wishes to go into illegally reasons that his and the torrent sites, and ISP problem not ours.

Reaction score
I respectfully disgree. If someone asks a question that MY answer "could be" used for illegal purpose(which is never my intent), the I have the responsibility to ask before I give information to purport any possible piracy. If it is used for illegal purpose, then I don't want to be a part of the conversation. O:)

I'm not presuming it, I'm asking it.

Seeing as he did not stake so we will be going with that, and secondly I don't think it is right to ask. If he wishes to go into illegally reasons that his and the torrent sites, and ISP problem not ours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Just so you know telling someone to google/yahoo/dog pile something could also be providing them the information to possible pirate software and movie. I bet you would be shocked by what you could find with a few key words.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I respectfully disgree. If someone asks a question that MY answer "could be" used for illegal purpose(which is never my intent), the I have the responsibility to ask before I give information to purport any possible piracy. If it is used for illegal purpose, then I don't want to be a part of the conversation. O:)

I'm not presuming it, I'm asking it.

But it's not relevant to the conversation unless someone explicitly infers that they might be using it for illegal purposes. If you don't want to be part of the conversation because you feel it might be legally dubious, please feel free to use the "!" button to report the post and then move on. That will alert the staff and help us to do our jobs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.