G5 Fibre channel card/Can i replace with graphics card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Hi seen a Powermac G5 for sale with a fibre channel card? & no graphics card, Can i take this card out & replace it with a standard graphics card?, This is in the advert.....G5 2GHZ DUAL / 2GB RAM / 250 GB / NO VIDEO CARD / FIBRE CHANNEL CARD, Any help would be great:) .

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I'm assuming the G5 was used as a 'node' in a cluster of some sort.

I don't have any knowledge of the Fiber Channel Card, however I believe it connects to the PCI-X slot. This means that the AGP x8 (or if its the newer ones PCIe) slot will be empty and ready to accept a graphics card, so you wouldn't even need to remove the fiber channel card.

If you can see a pic of the insides, the slot at the bottom of should be empty (this is the graphics card slot).

Just remember, when purchasing a graphics card it must have Mac firmware installed as PC cards will not work.

You could probably sell that fiber channel card for a pretty penny on eBay too. :)

Hope that helps.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Thanks for that Martyp, Very helpful.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.