The lights coming on but nobodies home.............my G4 is dead!

• Thread starter ClaireGriffiths
  • Start date
C

ClaireGriffiths

Hi there, can anybody please please help me.
I came home the other day to find that all the sockets in our flat were not working, went to the box thingy and the switch for the sockets in the house was off, Im not sure what happened but switched it back on and all sockets and all appliances still work, apart from one, My beloved G4 powermac...................
Im weeping as I think about it..............
What happens is this:
when you push the on button the light comes on but seems to have no spark, it doesnt turn the computer on, the light just goes off when you let go.................
however I know there is some power as my apple monitor light comes on when i push the on/standby button on there, the only power source for this is through the G4 so something strange is going on.

I have read in the manual what to do and all it advises is, check the power supply is connected, do you not think thats the fist thing i tried? (sorry am a bit bitter right now)
then it goes on to talk about what to do when it is switching on to reset the PRAM, well I would do that if i could even get a startup or some kind of reaction other than a light switching on when u touch it!!!

anyway, ive checked my macintosh bible and that gave no help with this problem either, so please can anyone out there help me?
Ive done all I can, I am not a whizz on computers, I dont really understand how they work and what I should do, I just use my mac to make films and put my photographs on so there is alot of stuff i dont want to loose on there, stupid thing is, ive just bought myself an external dvd drive so i can back everything up, but hadnt got round to it yet...........typical. The first thing im going to do if i ever get it working again is back up every single little tiny file i have on there!

Thanks for your help......

Claire x

ps. i have tried different sockets, different kettle plugs and everything i can think of in that area of things, i left it completely disconected from any plugs overnight but it made no difference.

I would be very greatful for any advice,
thanks xxx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried resetting the pmu? its inside the g4, its a button on the logic board, depending which g4 you have. that should solve it quickly.

OP
C

ClaireGriffiths

Macman said:
have you tried resetting the pmu? its inside the g4, its a button on the logic board, depending which g4 you have. that should solve it quickly.

Im just trying that now, i have tried once and no difference but have read that i should try with the battery taken out, so am trying again.

C x

OP
C

ClaireGriffiths

its back its back!

thanks guys for helping me, although i did find how to do it just after i posted, guess i should have looked first instead of bothering you guys,
thanks for helping anyway

much appreciated

Claire xx
(a happy bunny)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.