Transfer files from mac to pc

Reaction score
I've put my mac files on an external hard drive to transfer but this doesn't show up on PC. The same with a USB stick. Why is this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you are on Tiger or Leopard use the export feature for your files, then you have choice of Word Excel pdf rtf formats which should be able to be read by PCs

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Probably because of how your devices are formatted. PC don't read Mac Journaled. Need to format your devices as FAT32 however that kind of limits you to files that are smaller than 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
When you format any drive, usb stick or hard drive you can format it in several formats, here are the basic ones.

Mac OS Extended - the default for macs - cannot be read on windows PCs without installing additional software

FAT32 - Called MS DOS (FAT) in Apple's disk utility. Can be used by both Mac and Windows computers. There is a file limit of 4 gig - so not suitable for large movie files

NTFS (Windows NT File System) - The default drive format for windows. Macs ran read NTFS but not write to NTFS without additional software like Google's MacFuse macfuse - Google Code
You will have to format a drive on a PC to get NTFS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.