Time Capsule as External Hard Drive...?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have bought a Time Capsule and am using it, it works really well manageing as my backup.

BUT

I can not access it to use it as my external hard drive to store more than my macbook has space for... I can't drag and drop / copy anything to it like I can with my old external hard drive

How do I get this to work for me?

Thanks in advance.

//a new and very pleased mac user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Just thought i would add some info for your consideration;
Time Capsule/Time Machine combo is not a bootable back up.
There are ways to set it up that way per MaxFixit or OSXHints for example.
Booting off OS on a HD or DVD will allow you to copy back your data from Time Capsule to a destination.
For my money a better choice is to have and offsite Ext HD with a bootable back up on it using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. That way with fire/theft/mech failure, you can boot of HD thru another computer and keep working while sorting your computer. Meanwhile TimeCapsule has all historic changes and latest changes.

Reaction score
Any joy, Golan

I'm also new to Macs and had the same question - did you sort it out?
cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open Finder / Preferences:
if you want it to show up on your desktop - on the General Tab, put a check next to Connected Servers
if you want it to show up in the sidebar of Finder - do the same thing under the Sidebar tab

Once done, drag and drop to the TC is no different than drag and drop to anywhere else.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, yes this worked fine (and sorry for the delay in thanking you - thought I'd already done so!)

Reaction score
I cannot set up time capsule — can you help:

Hi all,

I have bought a Time Capsule and am using it, it works really well manageing as my backup.

BUT

I can not access it to use it as my external hard drive to store more than my macbook has space for... I can't drag and drop / copy anything to it like I can with my old external hard drive

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance...

I read the directions and I cannot get results.

Can someone please layout a simple plan to set up time capsule as a workable external hard drive that will allow me to see the content?

I have been a Mac user from the beginning, however, I cannot figure this out — all I want is the simple use of an external hard drive...

Again thanks...

Reaction score
Hi all,

BUT

Thanks in advance.

How do I open to see what is on disk?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you seeing the Time Capsule on the Desktop or in the sidebar of a Finder window at all. If so, double clicking its icon should open a window showing the files. From there you can move them just like an external hard drive.

If it is not showing in wether place go to Finder Preferences and select the Sidebar tab. Tick the area that says Connected servers and open a Finder window. you should see the Time Capsule in the sidebar now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.