OS X install hangs on destination disk

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am new to this forum. I am trying to reinstall Mac OS X on my mac.

When i insert the Disc 1 it starts up ok and then when it gets to Select a Destination volume to install the Mac OS X it stops. And nothing happens. There is nothing to click apart from going back button.

I have pressed the C but it doesnt do anything. When i press D it ejects the disc.

If i eject the disc and turn it on normally like i use it, it brings up a folder with a question mark on it. Before i inserted the disc to reinstall it worked fine.

Please help me i feel lost without it.

All my respects

Spring x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Can you access Disk Utility on the disc? If so you need to check the HD with it and see if it's ok. From there report back and we'll see what we can do.
I had similar problems recently, so bear with it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi thnx for your reply.

yes i can access disc utility. I can see the HD icon which says MATSHITADVD-...on the left and the Mac OS X install Disc 1.

how do i check is ok please? sorry i dont know much about this.

thnx x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, that's a good thing.
I think you just need to reformat the HD to be honest.
In disc utility highlight the HD and you will see the options to restore, erase, partition etc. Plus disc repair. You can run disc repair, to see if it comes up with any errors, but as you have no OS at the moment anyway, I would reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then try and make a clean install after that.
If that doesn't work you may have to try another method, but this way you should be able to get it up and running.
I'll keep an eye out here to see your replies.

OP
S
Reaction score
I tried to install the Mac OS X leopard disc and it says that cannot install Mac OS X leopard v10.5 as there is no version 10.4 or later installed on the drive. ( i already had v10.5 installed b4 it broke)

When i insert disc 1 and go to disk utility and highlight the HD i can see the options as you say but can't see repair. And also will not allow me to do anything to any of other options as well.

This seems really unusual and scary.

Any other way?

thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would seem that you have an upgrade disc and not a full version of Leopard to install, as the message you are getting alludes to that.
Did you buy the Mac with it already installed? If so the installer must have had a different disc to do it with, but if you have a Black Leopard generic disc you should have no problem.
When you go into disc utility you should see 2 HD icons, one will state the make of the HD, and one will just say Macintosh HD. Highlighting them gives different options for each. One should give you erase options, but if you can't highlight or click anything you could be in trouble.

Let's check that the HD is ok without utility.

Start up holding down the Apple key and "S"
Hold them until some text appears and let it finish loading.
Type the following, exactly as this with the space "fsck -y" and hit return. Let it go through it's program and at the end it should say "The macintosh HD appears to be ok". If it doesn't, type the command again until it does. If it never does you have a big problem, but I'll be very surprised.
When it's done and all is clear, type "reboot" and it will go back to it's normal state (a flashing icon in your case).
A couple of questions:
What Mac are you installing on to?
Do you have access to another Mac?
Exactly what does it say on the front of your install discs?
Are you in the UK?

Don't give up hope!

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,
I remember installing it myself. I got the laptop from Pc world 2 yrs ago.
The disc i have is black and has like purple and picn colors in the middle.

At the front of the disc says: Mac OS X Leopard CPU Drop-in DVD Version 10.5. And it says also this software is part of a hardware bundle. This came with my mac.

I did check if HD is working by doing what you saying but all it brings up is a folder icon with question mark on and it flashes. i pressed that for good 10 min but no luck. then when i release it and leave like that it the laptop goes off. ;(
I am installing it on MacBook, The only access i have is a Dell laptop.

I am in UK. Near Bucks.

thx for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, ok. A drop in disc should be fine, it's the one Apple send with their new computers, and it sounds like it's a generic disc anyway.
The fact that command/s doesn't show your HD is worrying, and someone else here has similar problems on their 2 year old Macbook. That's sad, it may well be a fried HD sadly.
Unfortunate that you have no access to another Mac, where you could check the Macbook in target disc mode, though I fear it may not show anyway.
It may well be that you will have to replace the HD. Not easy or cheap.
If you lived a little closer I would be happy to check it with my Powerbook or iMac.
Not sure where to go from here now. Let me know your thoughts.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok i am getting somewhere.

Inserted the disc and pressed the command s and i all this word which to me dont make sense but i know they do.

When i type what you say like "fsck ... it says command not found.

then it says if you want to boot the system exit. When i press esc which i am assuming is for exit in here nothing happens. i must be doing something wrong here. any idea?

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry miss typed.

A black screen with lots of words came up. To me they don't make sense but i know they mean something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When those words have loaded type fsck -fy and then hit the return key.
It will run a file check and verify the HD. When it says all is ok type reboot to get back to where you started.
Oops, thinking about it, if you do it with the disc in it will just check the disc, not the HD. If you can't get those words up without the disc in, we are back to the HD being fried.

OP
S
Reaction score
yep it only loads with disc in.

But i don't think the hd as died as it didn't just crash. I wanted to reinstall everything from the begining and all i did was insert the disc 1.

I didn't drop it or anything.

Do you suggest anything else??

spring

OP
S
Reaction score
also when i start downloading the v10.5 it says that i should have 10.4 or later already installed in it before upgrading to 10.5. Do you think i should find a 10.4 and try to install it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be worth a shot yes, as it would appear the 10.5 disc you have requires it for some reason. As I said before, it must be an upgrade disc.
When you say downloading I assume you mean installing from the disc.

OP
S
Reaction score
yes i mean install it from the disc. sorry is my english. will have to wait for someone to bring it to me tmrw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, good luck and keep me posted.

OP
S
Reaction score
no much luck, the person who was gone give it to me couldn't find it. no hope now. i have to be in the hands of Pc world. which i don't trust with the information i have in my mac as i am sure they poke their nose in to the folders. do you know if i can buy a 10.4 version anywhere??

Spring

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can buy 10.4 on Ebay, but it seems to be quite expensive for an older OS. PC World charge the earth and probably can't fix your problem.
I've sent you a private message.

OP
S
Reaction score
I went to pc world and i know is nothing major with my laptop. But their attitude sucks and it made me sick so i better have no laptop then give it to them to fix it. Will make a journey to apple store tmrw as well.

x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple store is not a bad idea, though if they offer to fix it beware of the cost!
It would be cheaper for us to meet and let me have a look, I'm sure I could get it going no problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.