Apple Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
I've had this mouse for about half a year now, and there are times when it just doesn't scroll down. Up, left, right, and anywhere in between works perfectly, but not down. I have to say it ****** me off.
This happened to me before but after a while it started working again. I'd just like to know if there's a solution to make an expensive wireless mouse work the way it should.

Reaction score
I can understand your frustration. The best way to clean your MM (and make it scroll again), is to turn it upside down and roll the scrollball over a piece of paper (bank statement envelopes work the best). 30 seconds and some figure 8's later, it should work again.

(I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it works)

Robbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Then of course you could get serious and go here If u are careful it is quite easily done, I have cleaned 3 this way..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you give it a shot - good plan to make a sketch of roller layout in fig 6 and which way it goes back. My first one i did not mark it and it took some time to study the pic and get it sorted.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand your frustration. The best way to clean your MM (and make it scroll again), is to turn it upside down and roll the scrollball over a piece of paper (bank statement envelopes work the best). 30 seconds and some figure 8's later, it should work again.

Robbie

Ok that worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok that worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!

For the time being.... :Smirk: You can always do like I did, and retire the MM (which really stands for "Miserable Mouse") and instead buy a cheap Logitech at Wal-Mart for $10 - $15 which will outlast the $49.95 Apple rodent. :)

Regards.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the time being.... :Smirk: You can always do like I did, and retire the MM (which really stands for "Miserable Mouse") and instead buy a cheap Logitech at Wal-Mart for $10 - $15 which will outlast the $49.95 Apple rodent. :)

Regards.

Yeah, but those are ugly, and I can't squeeze 'em for expose;D
Also, my MM is all good now.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, but those are ugly, and I can't squeeze 'em for expose;D
Also, my MM is all good now.

Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but you *can* customize the buttons to do what you want. I'd highly recommend Steermouse, which allows you to customize any mouse.

Reaction score

Robbie

Thanks I had the same problem and it was really getting to me.
This actually worked for me!!
A little dirt even came off - it was visible in the paper.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Sometimes mine acts up when the battery is low. So, when it stops scrolling, I clean it as above, and if that does not work, I change the batteries and all is then well!

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I had the same problem and it was really getting to me.
This actually worked for me!!
A little dirt even came off - it was visible in the paper.

Thanks.

Haha same here. I was like, Whoa where did all dirt come from? haha

Reaction score
The best solution for this is the trash can. I've had 2 wired and 2 wireless MMs. All ended up in the trash can. This is really bad hardware design. I've had them all cleaned by opening them, but the problem pops up after a while. The cleaning process that doesn't involve opening never worked for me. And the one that worked took more than half an hour for one mouse, and I'm an electronics engineer trained to do similar things.

After buying a Razer DeathAdder for a lot less money I can't understand how anyone in their right mind would buy a mighty mouse. Using a mighty mouse now is torture.

If you just want the looks put it on display and use something else then hide the mouse you use in a drawer. But there are other better mice that look even better next to a mac (depending on which mac you have).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you just want the looks put it on display and use something else then hide the mouse you use in a drawer. But there are other better mice that look even better next to a mac (depending on which mac you have).

Right on. Couldn't agree more.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro
Holy smokes! The bank statement envelope fix actually works!! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.