Re-Installng Windows on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz Quad-CoreXeon, 8GBRAM, 2.6TBHDD, NvidiaGT120|2GhzCore2Duo, 2GBRAM, 160GBHDD, Nvidia9400M
Hi,

I partitioned my drive with BootCamp and installed Windows 7 Beta, now I bought Windows Vista Business and was wondering if I need to repartition the drive or just pop in the DVD. Also will the data on my Mac OSX partition be lost? That is if I install without re-partitioning?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi,

I partitioned my drive with BootCamp and installed Windows 7 Beta, now I bought Windows Vista Business and was wondering if I need to repartition the drive or just pop in the DVD. Also will the data on my Mac OSX partition be lost? That is if I install without re-partitioning?

Windows Vista (any version) will not install over the top of Windows 7 because Windows 7 is a newer version. You will have to completely remove the 7 beta before installing Vista.

Your OS X partition will not be disturbed as long as you're careful when removing Windows 7 and installing Vista.

Regards.

Reaction score
Windows Vista (any version) will not install over the top of Windows 7 because Windows 7 is a newer version. You will have to completely remove the 7 beta before installing Vista.

Your OS X partition will not be disturbed as long as you're careful when removing Windows 7 and installing Vista.

Regards.

Hi,

I was thinking to format my mac and install windows again for some reasons. Do I have to remove windows first then format mac? If yes, How can I remove windows? ( I use boot camp for windows)

Reaction score
You don't need to do anything complicated. Go into Boot Camp Assistant and select the "Restore" option, which puts everything back into one hard drive with OSX. Then, just do a new Boot Camp install with your Vista DVD. That's it. You don't need to reformat the existing hard drive with OSX on it.

It's very simple.

Cheers

Reaction score
Thank you :D However, I have to format my macbook because it is very slow while using it. I compared 2.4Ghz 2gb macbook with 2.1ghz 2gb macbook. Everything in these laptops are same and mine 2.4ghz is always slower that other. I formated my laptop and it was as fast as other laptop for few months. I am thinking that I have to format again.

Reaction score
I don't know why formatting would change things. I would try repairing the disk and defragmenting it first before a full format; if still slow, there could be other reasons. Try iDefrag as an option for the defragmenting part. Honestly there's something going on with the machine if reformatting the disk is all that works - you might want to try a new HD first, and if that goes slow, it could be a bad HD controller or some such hardware issue. But try the defrag and disk repair first.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.