popups in Safari 4

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm posting this on the right place, if not, I'm sorry.
I need some help. I seem to have my Mac infected with a virus... yes... a virus.
It keeps opening some popups in Safari 4. Popups like:
SweetIM - Free Emoticons, Smileys, Winks, Games and more for MSN, AIM, Yahoo and ICQ Messenger.
and
Travian - Browser Game - Romans, Gauls, & Teutons
Its really anoying as we all know.
I ran an antivirus and it Found the Exploit-ByteVerify virus! but the popups continue.
Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It's not a virus, they are just popups.

There are no viruses for OS X.
If you have indeed located "Exploit-ByteVerify", then that is a trojan, not a virus.
With many of these trojans on a Mac, clearing your browser cache will likely get rid of it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Exploit-ByteVerify is a trojan, not a virus. As such, you many have had a hand in allowing this to install. What have you installed recently? Anything you maybe shouldn't have (ie. pirated software)?

It can't hurt to run ClamXav to see if it can detect and remove it.

Check here, here and here for more info (the last one may be of most help).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.
I have not installed anything pirated but have downloaded music (maybe thats it).
I installed ClamXav and ran it but it hasn't found anything.
I Hit: Safari - Empty Cache ...

...but the popups are still opening.

If there are any other sugestion let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
When I go to wtso.com (watch the simpsons online) there are always a few pop-ups that appear every time. I have pop-up blocker on, but they still open. I think that it is just the website that is allowing it, not Safari or os x.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.