Mac Pro and High End Graphics card

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to replace my current high end PC with a Mac Pro having loved my Macbook Pro. Going 8 core etc.

The only thing that's stopping me is that I do love to play the latest games and from what i can tell the fastest gaming based graphics card is the ATI 3870 ?

Now the games I want to play are on PC, so if I got a NVidia 9 or ATI 4000 series card and used Bootcamp would that work? I understand the card has no drivers for Mac and so only PC would see it. Can you have a 3870 and a 4000 card plugged in at the same time or would I have to keep swapping over if I wanted to play a game on bootcamp. Was not sure how many fast PCI slots there are that would support these cards.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
The fastest card for the Mac Pro is currently a ATi Radeon HD 4870, albeit only 512Mb of GDDR5 but should be fine.

If not, you can fit a second 'PC-only' card and it will run under Windows. Mac OS won't know what to do with the card but it won't mess anything up. Windows on the other hand will see both, so you'll just need to set the PC card as the default.

Both cards would run a x16 speed.

This article might answer some other questions...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.