External HD Enclosure Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
I bought a Rocketfish external hard drive enclosure a while back, and it has never worked properly (as far as I'm concerned). It has two issues: the first is that it keeps spinning down after about 15 mins of inactivity. Neither my internal nor other external (which is actually connected via the Rocketfish) do that, so it's not a setting on my computer. Also, it won't ever eject when I tell it to. It says that the drive is in use, when it clearly is not. I have to tell it to eject about 8x before it actually does. I have noticed, however, that if I close Adium (my chat client) it will eject after far fewer tries, usually about 2.

Any ideas on what could cause these issues and how to fix it if it's possible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you can return it under warranty, I wouldn't mess with it. I have found that not all hard drive enclosures are created equal. :( If there is an issue with the built in interface electronics, it's not worth repairing. Replacement is the best solution. What works best is something like this. Well worth the $36.00 cost and it even includes an AC adapter.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.