Where did I go Wrong? Replacing HD on MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Feb 08
MBP Feb 08 Model:

Superdrive failed so I bought a replacement and since I was opening it up, I got a Seagate 500GB HD as well.

Replaced the SD and it works fine, when I put in the new HD the Mac would not see it. Booted for Leopard Install Disc OK, Disc Utility does not see new HD. Was also able to boot from an external drive, DU still did not recognize new HD.

Double checked connection inside, looked OK, still does not see the drive.
(The SATA ribbon connection does not click or lock in place, which made me weary)

I put back the original HD that came with the MBP, which had no problems previously, the MBP does not see this drive either. (This drive did boot thru a SATA/USB external enclosure.)

I was extremely careful not to touch or disturb anything else on the board, the SATA ribbon looks secure at board and drive.

Where did I go wrong? Help please!!!

Thank you.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
A quote from http://www.extremetech.com

"Simply running through the OS X Installer isn't enough: Your Mac won't find a disk to install to. You need to click the Utilities menu in the upper left, and run Disk Utility. Select your new hard disk and choose "Erase." This will re-format your disc in the Mac Extended Format (HFS+) format. It's a little confusing that they don't call this "Format," but there you have it. Just step through the OS X Installer and you're all done."

That should sort you out, but feel free to look at extremtech as they are excellent.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Feb 08
I followed the steps you suggested already Brian, that's how I knew something else is wrong.

I did discover I torn the Hard Drive IR/SIL Flex Cable where it splits off to the board one way and the IR/SIL connections the other. Looking for a replacement part now.

I confirmed that the new drive was good using an external enclosure and I confirmed that the older drive was operational as well, so I am hoping the flex cable will do the trick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you got it resolved. By the way, those connectors are very easy to break or tear if someone is not familiar with they way they're meshed together.

Be real careful replacing that cable especially where it connects to the board. If you break the connector on the board, you're looking at a major repair cost.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That connector you're talking about on the motherboard - is it just a clip in (basically an interference fit)?

No locking tab or anything?

As I 'speak' I have my new WD 500 Gb drive beside my chair, ready to be fitted tomorrow (Sunday 3rd)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That connector you're talking about on the motherboard - is it just a clip in (basically an interference fit)?

No locking tab or anything?

As I 'speak' I have my new WD 500 Gb drive beside my chair, ready to be fitted tomorrow (Sunday 3rd)

The connector is pressed on - but it's tight and sometimes difficult to remove. It can easily be broken or even dislodged from the MB, so be careful. If possible, use a small plastic spudger tool like this one. There are no locking tabs or twist locks like on telephone equipment molex connectors.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that - my only concern was that I might break a lock tab in ignorance, knowing it's just an interference fit is GOOD . . .

As for the 'spudger' , I was going to take one of my wife's wooden clothes pegs and shape it 'to fit' so to speak for when it's needed.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did the job and the ExtremeTech article was brilliant.

Only problem was when I was loading the clone onto the new drive, the backup device had a bad sector so the transfer failed. Not a problem with the drive at all (the new one).

One interesting feature was that the bluetooth module wasn't where it is shown on the ExtremeTech piccies, the ribbon cable is slightly different too with one 'branch' less. This just means the drive is easier to change.

All in all, I would recommend this as 'user doable' if you are careful and don't force anything, gently really does do it.

It all came apart and went back together with no problems whatsoever.

I've popped my 200 Gb drive back in and re-done a full back up using Time Machine (this is one of the restore options when you do a full install).

I'll have another go tomorrow - it must be said that it holds no fears for me as the whole procedure is 'as advertised'.

The one thing I would say though, is if you have any doubts, then don't do it. If you are competent, confident and careful, it holds no real problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.