• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

yahoo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I got this message today when I opened yahoo instant messenger(I only use it to check for mail):
HEY ITS CHRIS, FROM THE DIRECTOR OF YAHOO, EVERYBODY SORRY FOR THE INTERRUPTION, BUT YAHOO IS CLOSING THE SYSTEM DOWN BECAUSE TOO MANY BOOTERS ARE TAKING UP ALL THE NAMES, WE ONLY HAVE 57 NAMES LEFT, IF U WOULD LIKE TO CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT, DONT SEND THIS MESSAGE, IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR ACCCOUNT, SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST. THIS IS NO JOKE, YOU'LL BE SORRY IF YOU DONT SEND IT. THANKS DIRECTOR OF YAHOO, TIM BUISKI, WHOEVER DOESNT SEND THIS MESSAGE YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DEACTIVATED AND IT WILL COST $10.00 A MONTH TO USE IT. TO SEND TO EVERYONE ONE YOUR LIST RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR GROUP THEN CLICK SEND

anyone have any ideas as to this being true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
M

meltbanana314

It's just another bull scam running through the net.

1. Yahoo wouldn't send a system-wide message, they would do it via e-mail.
2. They certainly wouldn't do it in all caps.
3. They wouldn't dare charge their users for fear of losing marketshare to MSN or AOL.

Any of those "virus" scams should be avoided too.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thought so. I dont even use my yahoo address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would think the horrible grammar would give it away ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
there was an aim thing like that going around about 5 years ago....i say that the yahoo thing is crap and you would see something on their homepage if it was true

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Oh, my gosh. I better run and get my check book! What would I ever do, if my yahoo account got cancelled, it would be the end of the world. *sobbing on desk*

Anyways, some innocent old grandma is going to fall for it, but hopefully not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.