Help! Finding crashing continuosly...

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Interesting...!

OK here is an interesting twist to the tale. This is good.

I enable root and try to login as root.

Wrong password. After 3 attempts, I get the master password window, saying that I can reset the root password. I do this. Now I have a new root password.

I log on as root with the new password. Goto SysPrefs -> Users and change the root password again (dunno why I did this). Now I have all passwords to all accounts on my system.

Next, I load up the sparseimage of my account, as my account is protected by filevault. Everything is fine, when I realise, that when this Finder cr@p stuff started happening, I actually downloaded a .mov file off a site automatically to my Downloads folder, so I access that folder under the root account. Guess what -> Finder crashes under the root account!

Now, I know that it is this file that is creating problems for me. I decide to approach it from a different way. I View the files as a list, expand the desktop folder. Fine. Expand the Downloads folder inside the Desktop Folder. Seems ok, nothing crashes. I quickly delete the few files that I have downloaded over the past few days (by sorting it by "Date Modified") and quickly empty the trash. Log out, log back into my normal account, and Finder DOESN'T crash anymore.

I guess it was the .mov file that was conflicting with the .dsstore file or something, that made all this mess. It really ridiculous how something so tiny can mess up the entire Finder.

Anyways, its all sorted now, thanks everyone for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
So very glad to hear!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Any info on what type of film it was apart from a .mov?
Maybe it's actually malicious??

Try reporting this to apple.. (Don't worry - if it was pr0n you can report it without using your real name :))

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Not bothered with reporting it. It was a .mov streaming file of the making of the movie "after the sunset" starring salma hayek and pierce brosnan. it was on ifilm.com and it was basically the music video from the movie, and they shows bits about the movie in it.

As soon as I right clicked and saved the file to my desktop my finder messed up. Glad I managed to get rid of it :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.