new unibody macbook 2.0ghz network issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I can connect to my wireless network, have full signal, but if I try to access the internet it is telling me I'm not connected to the internet... I know this is BS though, because I run through the network diagnostics and restart the modem and wireless router, etc, and this computer still has no internet, yet the emac that is running from the same wireless router does?

I just tried plugging in hardwired and running software update. I'll let ya know how it goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated in the meantime/if i don't get this working.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so it seems time warner has gotten smart enough to detect when youre using 2 computers through one router? I used to use this router with one dsl connection and share it just fine, yet now both macs are connected through the airport and only one at a time can access the internet? I turned off airport on my emac, and now I'm connected here on my macbook... *** is going on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What router are you using? Brand and Model please. It sounds like a DHCP issue.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you in advance for your help... it's a linksys wap54g

I never had problems when i was running an 8 computer network with my dsl connection, so I dunno whats up this time, but hopefully we can get this sorted out. It'd make life much easier. :)
Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a feeling I know what happened. First off, the WAP54G is NOT a router. It's a WAP (Wireless Access Point). Your DSL modem might have had a router and had DHCP turned on which would hand out a separate IP address for each computer on the network. Maybe (Guess here) your new Cable Modem does not have any routing nor DHCP so all the computers are getting the SAME IP which then only one system would surf the internet.

You can configure the WAP54g to hand out DHCP address's also if it's not setup that way at present by logging into it with a web browser at 192.168.1.254 according to the manual from Linksys. What modem did the Cable people give you? Again Brand and Model.

Edit: the pics in the manual are horrible. The DHCP setting does not hand out address's but works with an existing router. Again, what Cable modem do you have?

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
motorola sb4100 is the modem. This seems pretty whack.. but it should still work, right? After some tweaking?

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is it looking like I'm just going to need to buy a router? I can do that on friday. Any recommendations for wireless ROUTERS instead of access points that will offer dhcp? Good ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Any wireless broadband router will work. I am a Linksys fan. And as far as setting it up its a no brainer just follow the in box instructions . If you still have trouble just pm me ( I am a time warner tech )

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, thanks a bunch. I was hoping I wouldn't have to actually go buy a router, but whatever. I've got nothing else to spend my cash on now that I got my macbook (except 2x2gb ram and eventually an SSD... in a year or so). I definitely appreciate the tech assistance. Very cool. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.