MBP does not like competition

Reaction score
I have some issues with my MBP. Every time I start up any other device that connects wifi to my router the MBP stops working. It shows that it is connected but times out every time.
I am using a TimeCapsule 1TB. using WPA2.

Normally the Mac is the only computer running but as soon as someone fires up a Wii or Xbox, connects their Iphone, pulls out a work PC or in any other way connects to the network the Mac just wont work. All of the other diveces works just fine together. The Mac will only work if it is alone in the network. Sometimes even a mobileMe sync or a Time Machine sync can upset it enough to have it stop working, even though they share thesame network card and connection to the router.
To get the MBP working again I have to shut down all of the other devices and Disable/Enable the AirPort network card.

Does anyone have a clue as to what causes my Mac to behave like this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a problem with a DHCP address lease (just my initial thought based on the description). Is the MacBook Pro using a static IP?

OP
G
Reaction score
No, the MacBook is using an assigned DHCP IPv4 address. The IPv6 is set to Automatic.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the MacBook is using an assigned DHCP IPv4 address. The IPv6 is set to Automatic.

You'll have to excuse me as I don't have much working knowledge of the Time Capsule/AirPort Extreme, but is it possible to check the DHCP lease time settings? I would try setting it for one day, if it's longer than that.

OP
G
Reaction score
It is set to 4 hours. I belive that this the default value since I have not activly changed it.

I just read in another post about TimeWarner and how thay might have figured out a way to limit the number of computers, even in a WiFi environment. I am also using the Road Runner from Timewarner. On the other hand I am actually able to use more than one PC, it is just the Mac that needs to be alone in the network.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is set to 4 hours. I belive that this the default value since I have not activly changed it.

I just read in another post about TimeWarner and how thay might have figured out a way to limit the number of computers, even in a WiFi environment. I am also using the Road Runner from Timewarner. On the other hand I am actually able to use more than one PC, it is just the Mac that needs to be alone in the network.

OK, I must be barking up the wrong tree. As I said, that was my initial impression, but certainly could be off-base.

Have you ever noticed any issues with the MBP on other wireless networks (aside from your own)?

OP
G
Reaction score
It has never left the house since I bought it about 9 months ago, so No unfortunately I have never tried it in any other network. But I do agree with you that it probably is DHCP related.
I have tried all sorts of settings, "torn down" the wireless and started a new from scratch. Updates of the router is done automatically (Thank you Apple) so it is not the firmware.

You can imagine the frustration in a family of five when I forbid people to use the network untill I am done with the Mac...

Grillfest

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to suggest this, but one would assume both the MBP and the router are still under warranty. If so, have you tried contacting Apple Care?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you are on and tossed off - my guess, it is an IP address issue, you say - MacBook is using an assigned DHCP IPv4 address - try it with "Using DHCP"

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry for not beeing totally clear. What I meant with "assigned IPv4" was that the IPv4 is set to "using DHCP", and will therefore be assigned an IP from the Router.
Regarding the AppleCare, I will give it a try. They just opened a new Apple store in my City so perhaps they can give me some advice there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking you should actually call, so that they can work with you on settings and test in the correct environment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.