Photoshop updater

Z

Zipp

Hey, I need to get my Photoshop (version 6.0.1) to stop trying to open in Classic (cause... I don't... have classic).

Any help?

zipp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
wwhat os are you running? why does it try to open classic? I think 6 only runs in classic, doesnt it?

OP
Z

Zipp

Macman said:
wwhat os are you running? why does it try to open classic? I think 6 only runs in classic, doesnt it?

I'm now running OSX and all of my old programs try to run in classic. I was able to update Appleworks and it runs fine now, but everything else, from games to notepad, won't open except under classic, which I don't have. I've tried reinstalling the games and some of the programs, but the disk tries to open in Classic as well. What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, photoshop 6 is a classic application, so you cant run it in os x which means youd either need to buy a newer version, ie photoshop 7 or cs, or reinstall classic support to run photoshop 6.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are using all old OS9 and below applications and games. You need Classic support installed to run the old non OSX stuff. What is your system? G4? G5? Most of the older G4's with boot OS9 also, But most of the Applications you mentioned will work fine if you install Classic under OSX.

OP
Z

Zipp

dtravis7 said:
You are using all old OS9 and below applications and games. You need Classic support installed to run the old non OSX stuff. What is your system? G4? G5? Most of the older G4's with boot OS9 also, But most of the Applications you mentioned will work fine if you install Classic under OSX.

How do I install classic? I was running MAc 0S 9.1, which I'm not sure came with Classic. Also, I heard that sometimes installing classic can mess up the system a bit. Is this true (beyond the normal fact that ANYTHING can mess up a system a bit)?

Reaction score
Installing classic shouldn't be a problem but first try this out :

1. Control click on the program and go to 'Getinfo' and click on it.
2. Un-click the box which says 'Open in classic environment'

If their is no box their and it says Classic application and not just Application then you will have to install the classic environment to get the program to work, or update.

Mac OS9.1 is now called the 'classic' environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to reinstall classic support, youll have to have the discs that originally came with your mac, software restore disc specifically, in it should be the installer for classic support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.