What needs replacing back light or inverter

Reaction score
HI

I have a late 2004 iBook G4 1.33 ghz 14" 1024*768
model number n141xb - l03 REV.C1 screen code

the backlight works and lights up the screen but its not as new.

I have contacted a seller on ebay and I told them what was wrong and they told me that it would need a new inverter.

I was thinking its was the light itself. as it is a 5 year old iBook
anyone know which it would be.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
It's probably the backlight. It is essentially just a fluorescent light, and will lose brightness over time, depending on how much it is used.

As an example, my fiancé's 3 year old MacBook is significantly dimmer then my 2008 model. I may be wrong, but if it were the inverter you would have either no display or a very messed up display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
iBook - What needs replacing
I don't often say this, but in your case I would have to say that the iBook needs to be replaced... entirely.

The cost of the part, the time and effort needed to install it... then hoping that does the trick and fixes it?
It just makes more practical and economical sense to get a new notebook for this issue.
You don't have to get a brand-new one, a refurbished or used notebook would be fine.
Either way, a new computer would be the better course of action to take.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If the bulb gets power, then it's not the inverter.

The inverter is really just a step-up transformer that sends power to the CCFL tube. If it's getting power, the inverter is probably fine.

Either way, DB is right. This can be a wild goose chase, even for the best of technicians (I know, I ran into once with an Alienware notebook - it turned out being a bug in the systemboard that was well known for one particular model. But I didn't realize this until after I changed, the tube, the inverter and eventually the entire display).

OP
F
Reaction score
Only problem with below is I only got this on the 25th april.
I knew the screen was not as bright as new, but only today i saw how low it is. its still looks ok when on by its self. but i would be happy to replace the ccfl as i have been taking things apart for years and computers etc from 97. so not bothered to much about time.

I do have a decent Philips x67. but as i have a imac core duo x1600 ati as my main pc I wanted a cheap mac laptop and even with the lower brightness of the screen its still was around £150-200 cheaper than same on ebay

As its has bluetooth, airport extreme and dvd rewitrer. so for the £189 I paid for it i was happy ish.

And to be honest I do not fancy paying over £700 for a basic macbook.

I don't often say this, but in your case I would have to say that the iBook needs to be replaced... entirely.

The cost of the part, the time and effort needed to install it... then hoping that does the trick and fixes it?
It just makes more practical and economical sense to get a new notebook for this issue.
You don't have to get a brand-new one, a refurbished or used notebook would be fine.
Either way, a new computer would be the better course of action to take.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only problem with below is I only got this on the 25th april.
I knew the screen was not as bright as new, but only today i saw how low it is. its still looks ok when on by its self. but i would be happy to replace the ccfl as i have been taking things apart for years and computers etc from 97. so not bothered to much about time.

I do have a decent Philips x67. but as i have a imac core duo x1600 ati as my main pc I wanted a cheap mac laptop and even with the lower brightness of the screen its still was around £150-200 cheaper than same on ebay

As its has bluetooth, airport extreme and dvd rewitrer. so for the £189 I paid for it i was happy ish.

And to be honest I do not fancy paying over £700 for a basic macbook.

Well, for what it's worth, I don't think it's a bad inverter. CCFL tubes *do* dim over time, especially if it's been run at full brightness all of the time. The trouble is, replacing the bulb can be an ungodly nightmare, depending on the panel. In many cases, it's in a taped compartment. In order to access the bulb, you'll need to cut and replace the tape (which is usually a special type of aluminum tape) and take apart the frame of the LCD.

CCFL Backlight Replacement | Lingnik

JKL Components Corporation

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How dim is the iBooks display? One thing I have noticed is my iBook G4 12" is as bright as new but it looks dim compared to the new Intel Macs and especially the ones with the LED displays.

My iBook never looked quite as bright as say my Compaq AMD 64 notebook that I purchased as the same time as the ibook. The Compaq has BriteView and a Glossy display and it very bright. The iBook out of the box looked duller.

I do agree with CWA though that CFL tubes get dimmer over time, but I was just wondering if you are comparing it to newer laptops that are brighter anyway. Again, how dim does it look? Do you have a Camera? Can you take a pic?

OP
F
Reaction score
detail

hopefully if the image works you will be able to see the brightness

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is that Phillips a Netbook? Does it have a Glossy screen? I know my Acer Aspire One's glossy looks much more sharp and bright than my iBook ever did. I have used them side by side and my iBook has seen very little usage and looks about the same as it always did. Just don't want to see you waste $$$ if it's working fine.

To me it does not look all that dim for an iBook. Maybe someone else with a 14" ibook will see the pic and give their opinion. I will try and take a pic of my 1.33Ghz 12" next to my netbook later and post it.

Also is the brightness all the way up on the iBook? F1 turns it down and F2 up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Good advice all. I'll throw in my two cents worth....

If you're going to replace the CCFL (backlight), I would go ahead and order an inverter for it anyway. The inverter is as cw107 said - a step up transformer (actually provides the AC power needed by the CCFL). Inverter units are not expensive and fairly easy to replace.

Just my opinion.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, that iBook screen looks very good to me. As LCD technology has advanced, the screens have gotten brighter due to consumer demand. That Phillips machine might even have LED-backlighting. So, it's really not a fair comparison.

I take back what I said before - leave it alone. I'm pretty sure that's typical of the era of that machine.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well I am using the iBook now and it is usable does seem a tad brighter at the righthand side a little but. its still ok for video's etc etc

Thanks for your help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, that iBook screen looks very good to me. As LCD technology has advanced, the screens have gotten brighter due to consumer demand. That Phillips machine might even have LED-backlighting. So, it's really not a fair comparison.

I take back what I said before - leave it alone. I'm pretty sure that's typical of the era of that machine.

I agree CWA. I did a side by side with my newish netbook and iBook, looks about the same as the OP's picture. Will get a pic when I get back.

Like CWA said, LCD technology has really advanced since that iBook was made and even before LED backlighting.

OP
F
Reaction score
The philips x67 is netbook size but has the Core Duo u2400 at 1.06ghz and dvd rewriter built in, its good little machine

Does have glossy screen at 11.1"
I guess the ibook is ok. does seem useable when its on must be me going mad lol.

Best thing about x67 is it was only £240 plus £25 for me to get the new cells for the battery as it was non working bat when i got it.

Brightness is all the way up already done that one lol
I have imac so know about brightness but thanks

Is that Phillips a Netbook? Does it have a Glossy screen? I know my Acer Aspire One's glossy looks much more sharp and bright than my iBook ever did. I have used them side by side and my iBook has seen very little usage and looks about the same as it always did. Just don't want to see you waste $$$ if it's working fine.

To me it does not look all that dim for an iBook. Maybe someone else with a 14" ibook will see the pic and give their opinion. I will try and take a pic of my 1.33Ghz 12" next to my netbook later and post it.

Also is the brightness all the way up on the iBook? F1 turns it down and F2 up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.