Airport question

F

Fomer

Ok since the the new PB's come with the Airport Extreme Ready. I am going to buy an Airport Extreme Card, but the base is way over priced and I don't have enough for it. I was told by several people Linksys Wireless Base can be used to take the place of the Base.

But I am confused which of these do I need...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...50774&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01029

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_004_003_002_000&product_id=25-3024

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=&product_id=950-1380

Speed is very important as I will probably never be connected to my cable box, do the layout of my room it's impossible for me to even have them connected while I am at my desk.

I use a cable modem cause I am a speed junkie so obviously I want the fastest, but this coming week I am purchasing a Powerbook, Ipod, Extreme Card, I also need the cheapest.

So my question is which of the three above do I need? Is there anything cheaper (the 69 one I can swing but the 129 seems to far for my pocket) If the 69 $ one cant be used with airport extreme and I got the regular airport card does it matter the new PB's say airport extreme built in. Will the regular airport work? And is the regular one fast enough? My modem runs about 1.2 ish so anything above 1.0 I'll be pleased.

Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you want to use the airport extreme card you will need the first one. If you choose one of the other two your extreme card will work but only at the slower speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
ok well the first link is the only one that will take advantage of the extreme card. the other two will still work but you will not be using anything "extreme" at all it will be just like the original airport card. i use regular airport with a cable connection but mines at like 7mbps so i dont notice any speed deterioration but if you are outside the range of the 802.11g you may notice some speed decreases but there is nothing you can do about that. i dont think with the regular airport you will hit above 1mbps but im not positive on all the exact numbers. one thing about the powerbook range is that airport antennae dont work as good on the powerbook because it is an all metal laptop so that does disrupt some of the reception

OP
F

Fomer

trpnmonkey41 said:
ok well the first link is the only one that will take advantage of the extreme card. the other two will still work but you will not be using anything "extreme" at all it will be just like the original airport card. i use regular airport with a cable connection but mines at like 7mbps so i dont notice any speed deterioration but if you are outside the range of the 802.11g you may notice some speed decreases but there is nothing you can do about that. i dont think with the regular airport you will hit above 1mbps but im not positive on all the exact numbers. one thing about the powerbook range is that airport antennae dont work as good on the powerbook because it is an all metal laptop so that does disrupt some of the reception

Alright I am going to go with the first if I can afford it... but if not.

Then can the regular card be used... I would think so but on the page list it says "Airport Extreme Ready" so can either be used or only extreme?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Fomer said:
Alright I am going to go with the first if I can afford it... but if not.

Then can the regular card be used... I would think so but on the page list it says "Airport Extreme Ready" so can either be used or only extreme?
I think that means you can install an airport extreme card. I don't think a regular airport card will fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Honestly, even if you choose to go with an 802.11b base station (11 Mbps), I doubt that you connection will be hindered by it. The true advantage of the 802.11g (56 Mbps) is when transferring between computers linked on such a network.

OP
N

nko

I cant remember if it was a reliable source, or where I heard it, but b is supposedly slightly ahead of g as far as signal strength at a distance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g only works at the stated 54mbps for a range of 50 ft after which it goes to the 11mbps b for a range of 150 ft

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok now I have a question :) I am looking into buying this router:

tp://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=298420&pfp=SEARCH (outdated link removed)

Would this be a good one to get.. it's seriously cheap after rebates.. $79.99 regularly, -$20 Instant Rebate, -30 manufacturer rebate.. and then 10% online rebate.. which brings it to around $23.99 or thereabouts.

If you look to the left you'll see my PB stats.. and currently this is my network: Cable modem to router.. router to pc, router to hub, hub to mac desktop, hub to mac laptop..

what I was thinking of doing was plugging this thing into the hub.. would this be ok? What would be the best move? The Router is in the living room.. and when I got to the living room i have an extra cable that I hook my laptop up there, but normally I have a cable going from the living room to my office room to the hub and then like I said my desktop from the hub and my laptop from the hub.. I need the wireless access from my office room and my laptop is the only computer that has an airport card in it..

Any help would be appreciated.. this is quite new to me.. I've always been anchored down by cables, but I would like to figure this wireless world out :)

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well this is the router that i have

tp://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=282388&pfp=BROWSE (outdated link removed)

i have 3 pieces plugged in with wires to it and then i have my powerbook with an airport card.

what it looks like you need is a router like this that has a built in switch and then a wireless desktop card (like 40 or 50 bucks) and the airport card then you wont need to have any cables going from your living room to the office

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
That Linksys router is nice. I hadn't gazed upon the router that had both an Access Point AND a 4-port switch. Great price to. I would buy that if I didn't already have a few Linksys access points and routers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's what I needed to know.. it looks like I might be getting one of those then :) And it is a great price!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'Wireless Hacks' released by O'Reilly

Source: MacMinute.com

'Wireless Hacks' released by O'Reilly
September 22, 2003 - 16:25 EDT O'Reilly has announced the release of "Wireless Hacks," a new guide that offers 100 industrial-strength tips about wireless networking. The US$24.95 book includes "hacks" on extending range, optimizing performance, providing services on a large scale, and even making your own antenna. "Wireless Hacks" covers several wireless technologies, including 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, Bluetooth, and GPRS.

My Comments: Anybody planning on getting this book? I would interested to hear your reaction.. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.