Interesting Dilemma - Fix needed?

P

P_Delane

Guy's,

Hate to just register and then ask for help without contributing anything but i need so assistance.

I have a junky old G3 wallstreet without a zip drive or a cd burner. I have no external devices either. Is there anyway I can get my files from the dinosaur onto my new ibook G4. I've emailed really small stuff but there are graphics projects that i did in University which i'd like to have on my new machine.

I do have a router so i can have both machines online at the same time.

Any solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
The two options that I've personally used with good results are AIM and DropLoad.com.

If you can get both computers running AOL Instant Messenger, you can simply transfer files from one machine to the other via the program's simplified FTP "Send File or Folder" feature. All you would have to do is sign on with one screen name, then select the desired file or folder and send it to the screen name that is signed on with the other computer. I've used this method to send lots of very large 1+ GB folders, and it works very nicely (although not always ultra fast).

As another alternative, you can use a very handy website called DropLoad.com. It allows you to upload files as large as 100 MB, and then retrieve and download them with any other computer.

Oh, and if you decide you no longer want the WallStreet and plan on throwing it out, let me know and I'll pay for shipping costs if you wouldn't mind sending it to me.

OP
M

menace3054

does the wallstreet have firewire port? use a firewire cable to transfer files. or, do you have an ipod? use that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't think the wallstreet does have firewire...

But it probably has ethernet, so just pop in a network cable and you can just drag your files from the one to the other.

Alternatively since you say both are online at the same time, you could just try clicking 'go' in the finder menu and then hit 'connect to server'.

Enter the IP address of the other machine there and see if you can access it...
You can find the IP address in Network settings (in OSX 10.3 that is..)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you connect the two machines with a Network cable that just goes from Machine to Machine, be sure to use a Crossover cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook, 1.7 G4, 10.3.6
Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up using the web on a site called yousendit.com I just stuffed all the files I wnated and sent with that. It lets you send up to a gig but it takes between 1-5 mins per mb. So it's not reccomended for large files.

I have a crossover ethernet cable but i can't seem to have the computers speak to each other. I'm just too dumb to figure it out.

The wallstreet has a broken screen - it just doesn't come on anymore (stays black) so i have it hooked up to a monitor. I will eventually get rid of it so you have first choice on it padawan. It's been upgraded quite a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook, 1.7 G4, 10.3.6
Well stone the flamin' crows turns out that the little Mac Help centre solved my problem. I just didn't know how to communicate 0s9 with 0sX through Ethernet. Now i do :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.