Booting Problem and Running Slow

Reaction score
I own two Intel iMacs running the latest Leopard, one for myself and another for my family. The day before last they both started to have problems.
First my own iMac booted slowly and then ran just as slowly, now is barely running at all.
The other iMac is displaying the 'press start button' message and won't start at all.
I'm very frustrated since we now have no computers at the same time.
If anyone has any advice or information, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's unusual that both machines started having trouble at the same time. Have you loaded any new software on the machines? Are they hooked together in a common network at home?

Without any further information from you, it's difficult to say what could be causing the slowdowns. It does sound like something common to both machines, however.

Regards.

OP
Z
Reaction score
That's unusual that both machines started having trouble at the same time. Have you loaded any new software on the machines? Are they hooked together in a common network at home?

Without any further information from you, it's difficult to say what could be causing the slowdowns. It does sound like something common to both machines, however.

Regards.

They are both connected to the same network. No new software. One is slowing down, the other has the "restart now" message so it isn't really the same problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First remove the machine with the "restart now" problem from the network.

The slow running machine:

1. Boot the machine with your Leopard install DVD. After it boots, select Utilities - Disk Utilities from the top menu. Run verify and repair on the entire hard drive. Correct all errors if any.

2. Next, run the Apple Hardware Test. See the following Link.

3. Download and run the free OnyX maintenance routines. Link

Machine with restart now problem:

Perform Step 1 and 2 above. After the problem is resolved, perform step 3.

Regards.

OP
Z
Reaction score

1. Boot the machine with your Leopard install DVD. After it boots, select Utilities - Disk Utilities from the top menu. Run verify and repair on the entire hard drive. Correct all errors if any.

Regards.

Ill give them a try, thanks.

OP
Z
Reaction score

Regards.

I couldn't get past step one. Both comps wouldn't repair due to errors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.